Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep eating honeysuckle  (Read 3703 times)

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
Sheep eating honeysuckle
« on: June 11, 2019, 07:14:35 pm »
So I caught one of my sheep face deep in honeysuckle the day before yesterday and now she is scouring. She’s been shorn but her bottom’s pretty mucky and so is the outside of her tail a bit. I’m sure it must be the honeysuckle that’s caused this?

The honeysuckle is in the garden area. The previous owner put some plastic fencing on the outside of the stock fencing and there’s also wooden fencing but the plastic is old so it just broke down when she stood on the wooden fence to reach over.

She is grazing as normal and staying with the others. Should I just keep an eye on her? There weren’t any berries on the honeysuckle. I am guessing it’s a similar reaction to when we eat things we shouldn’t??

Thanks as always.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Sheep eating honeysuckle
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 09:28:14 am »
A quick google says yes poisonous but not life threatening

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 04:30:04 pm »
Thanks Shep. I read these things but am a worrier and always feel the need to get confirmation from a third party!

Said honeysuckle has now suffered at the hands of my shears and loppers. No doubt wrong time of year and it was quite a haircut but it made me mad! The last owners let a lot of plants and bushes etc get out of control and now it’s like day of the triffids in some areas.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 04:28:02 pm »
Have a lonicera hedge which the sheepies munch on all day lon'g never caused a problem. Also have honeysuckle growing wild i don't know if its a native or not but again never had a problem. Don't be too hard on it...
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS