Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Respiratory dilemma  (Read 1429 times)

HeatherB

• Joined Mar 2018
  • Llangwm, North Wales
Respiratory dilemma
« on: June 01, 2019, 08:42:05 pm »
Have made a terrible mistake purchasing hens from a well known country store from an independent poultry breeder and two are sneezing.   Had to dispatch my silkie cockerel last night as really poorly, couldn’t breathe, snotty nose and watery eyes.  He seemed so distressed,  today his companion silkie is sneezing and again is very rattly.  Have now separated all three but worried now it’s infectious.  Have never had anything like this in my 10 years of hen keeping. I’m suspecting I need antibiotics but I know the vet will want me to take all 3.  Have given all some respite in drinking water for last few days, any other recommendations, many thanks

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Respiratory dilemma
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 06:43:51 am »
We had this problem many years ago HeatherB. Sounds like you have bought hens that have been immunised with live viruses and they have infected the others, because these viruses flare-up under the stress of a new home and are transmitted in the air. The strains they are given are all mild and done over a period of time, but when chickens are infected with them all at the same time their immune systems just can't cope. Antibiotics will only counter secondary infections but can be effective. Our vet gave us Synulox and after £200 worth over three weeks we managed to save all 10. Thereafter we had to run two flocks completely separated- one infected and the other not. If I remember correctly they are ILT, IB and Micoplasma and there is perhaps a fourth now?

HeatherB

• Joined Mar 2018
  • Llangwm, North Wales
Re: Respiratory dilemma
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 10:23:20 pm »
Thanks Chris, got soluble Tylan today from vet so fingers crossed.  Have isolated 4 now and a Poland bantam who is not herself.  I was doubtful they had been vaccinated at all and it does concern me that there are poultry breeders out there who may or not may, if they state, get hens from commercial breeders.  Who are these people and I wonder if there should be more regulation.  I would recommend that all new chicken owners purchase from well known, well established and well researched breeders.  Thanks for your advice.  :raining:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS