Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ducks on the canal  (Read 1980 times)

JoanneB

• Joined May 2012
  • Linlithgow, Scotland
Ducks on the canal
« on: May 31, 2019, 02:17:05 pm »
Hello, I'm looking for a wee bit of advice. We back onto the local canal and this is our only water. There's no public access but plenty of wildlife. What are the chances of me keeping a duck house on the canalside without them being taken by the fox or taking off !?! Sound ridiculous???? :)
Joanne, West Lothian

abc123

• Joined Oct 2018
Re: Ducks on the canal
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 04:59:49 pm »
It could happen but unless you can own the canal, which I doubt, I guess you would have to ask permission from the council or similar owner.
Safetywise it would be unpredictable because foxes and other predators can swim, and there is little you could do to prevent predation, as in the wild. Especially if they are domesticated ducks. 

JoanneB

• Joined May 2012
  • Linlithgow, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 05:23:35 pm »
Thanks abc123. I can put a duck house on my land which borders the water side, it was more the safety of the ducks. Would you do it? Am not at home to keep an eye out.
Joanne, West Lothian

abc123

• Joined Oct 2018
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 05:31:54 pm »
Ok well i dont see why you cant give it a go. I was more thinking you cant protect them from predators when in the water becuase you cant put electric fencing up or contain them could you? maybe just let them onto the canal when you can watch them?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 12:23:49 am »
I would not site my duck house right on the edge of the canal.  That would attract mink and rats as well as other predators.  Get your ducks used to your land, ie their new home boundaries, for several weeks before you dream of letting them loose on the canal. They should come home from a swim either when you put out grain for them, or when it's bedtime.  You would need to shut them in at night anyway.   You are bound to lose some, but that happens with free range birds even when they can't just swim away.
My experience is with muscoveys and geese, not ordinary ducks, but my birds don't spend all that long swimming (in a pond) but go in a few times a day for a dip, then come back onto land.  For the first couple of days you let them on the canal, make sure it's a weekend so you can watch them.  If you are still unsure, only let them out at weekends.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 01:27:12 am »
We have a brook crossing our land in a middle - my ducks and geese go swimming all the time. Obviously they are locked at night. No one can forbid them from swimming. Council won't lock them up lol
Foxes are a big problem, however I had more problems with predation on chickens - when ducks saw a fox they jumped in the water.
As I said they still have to be locked up at night which h is very easy if you feed them inside their coop every evening. My ones go inside themselves when they see me before sunset.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 06:57:24 am »
I think it depends on the 'drop' to the water. Most ducks can't fly well at all so if its a drop of say 2ft they might have problems getting out of the water, especially if they were being 'chased' by a canal boat. Some duck breeds fly well though, muscovies and their crosses, so maybe it would suit them?

I would start by having a largish enclosed run and maybe a paddling pool for some time, muscovies will go broody fairly regularly over the summer so once they have chicks they'll be bonded to the place. Then once fully feathered would be the time to let them increase their boundaries and try out the canal

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS