Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Noisy pigs  (Read 2392 times)

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
Noisy pigs
« on: June 07, 2019, 08:52:19 pm »
I have two gilts, GOS x Pietrain. They live outside and have plenty of space.

I have an issue where they are being extremely vocal - squealing and grunting - whenever they catch sight of someone. We assume this is because they are associating people with food and making noise to get food (correct me if I’m wrong).

What can I do to try and stop this? Currently we are trying ignoring them but they literally do not stop. It’s not just at their normal feed time but they are up and creating first thing before we go across to them as well.

Our neighbours have mentioned during conversation that they can hear them, but I don’t think it was a complaint; however, we are on one side of the valley and all neighbours on the other, which shows how the noise travels.

Any suggestions of how we can get them out of this demanding behaviour? They say pigs are clever but they haven’t figured out that they don’t get rewarded for kicking off. At this rate they’ll be off early and it’ll be chipolatas instead of sausages...

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Noisy pigs
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 10:26:34 pm »

How old and how much feed are they getting? Hungry pigs can be very noisy or thirsty pigs. If they are getting enough food and water have they been wormed?

If they are noisy for the sake of it not much you can do except maybe provide something to occupy them. Old tyres, snack balls....
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 10:31:38 pm by harmony »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 10:29:09 pm »
Our very experienced pig lady lets the volume and urgency of the squealing inform her decisions as to when its time to up the rations.  Or worm them ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 05:44:19 am »
Pigs are incredibly clever and will usually associate feeding time with you and a certain times of the day. Are you feeding them at exactly the same times every day? I usually feed 7am and 4pm, on the spot!  Also you say they are creating first ting in the morning before you get a chance to go to them. If they can see you that well I would literally make my first job of the day after stepping out of the house to feed them.

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 07:13:04 am »
I have a public foot path that runs through the middle of my holding. I fenced both sides of the path in to protect my stock.
My sow’s often squeal when people walk past they are rather chatty by nature.
I would imagine two of my closest neighbours can hear them.
I have received a call from the police once to say I have dangerous pigs on / near the footpath. I just laughed.
Animal noises are part of the country side my property has always been a small holding for over 150 years. The noise is not constant.
As I have become older I have become less tolerant of people’s whining.
Dogs will bark pigs will oink chunter and squeal.
Not an answer to your question I am afraid.
That said always best to get on with the folk around you.......Says he who is taking a neighbour to court for trespass and having pinched some of my land.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 09:04:25 am »
Pigs are incredibly clever and will usually associate feeding time with you and a certain times of the day. Are you feeding them at exactly the same times every day? I usually feed 7am and 4pm, on the spot!  Also you say they are creating first ting in the morning before you get a chance to go to them. If they can see you that well I would literally make my first job of the day after stepping out of the house to feed them.

I have pigs on my yard where I will be doing lots of different jobs throughout the day. At various times they will see me but they don't kick off each time they do. I feed roughly the same time each day but sometimes that changes due to other stuff going on. I don't think feeding them first thing in the morning is going to make a difference if they are hungry. There is a difference between pig chat and screaming for food and that's what you need to work out - are they getting enough food and are they worm free so getting all of their ration for themselves.

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 10:25:19 pm »
Thanks all.
They are roughly 18 weeks and we’ve checked and they are getting the right weight of food. Currently feeding part pig nuts and part cattle nuts (2 to 1 ratio) on suggestion from local farmers co-op in that cattle feed may help to satisfy them. They get fed around 07:30 and then 17:00. And ad lib during the day with titbits. We thought ignoring the noise would maybe get them out of it but maybe we should just feed first?
Definitely no worms. They were treated not long after we got them and no signs of problems since.
I don’t think the neighbour was complaining, but just the fact they mentioned it means now I know they hear it. How often who knows, as in the valley I can be stood 10 feet away from my other half and still not hear what’s being said - all depends which way the wind blows.
We looked at pig enrichment and balls always come up, but wouldn’t they just chew it up?

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 09:35:39 am »
ah - I can see exactly why their being noisy now! If your feeding them titbits at random points throughout the day then every time they see you they will anticipate a treat and make a noise. Best to keep to 2 feeding times a day and nothing at all in-between.

I'm not sure its even legal to feed pigs cattle nuts?? I would definitely stop feeding it regardless, people in feed stores just shop staff and are certainly not qualified to advise you on feeding a feed not designed for an animal.

How much grass do they have in their run and are you feeding them any hay if the grass has all been turned over??

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 02:11:08 pm »

Agree with the above post re titbits.

How do you know you haven't got worms?

Cattle feed is for cattle. Stick to pig food.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS