Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ATV drawn flail topper  (Read 8855 times)

Squinky

• Joined Aug 2010
ATV drawn flail topper
« on: October 13, 2010, 06:48:46 pm »
Hi , Has anyone had experience of or have comments on a flail mower that is petrol driven and pulled by a quad ? I am considering this as an option, but would like to hear first hand comments. Here is an example  ebay item no. 280473108209
Thanks

Gordon M

• Joined Sep 2009
Re: ATV drawn flail topper
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 10:42:13 pm »
Hi Squinky,
I have the Wessex AF120 which is very similar to the one you're looking at with the 16 HP Briggs and Stratton V twin engine, if it's anything like the wessex, it'll make short work of topping even the worst bull rushes, brambles, whips etc and will make a reasonable job of grass. It's a lot cheaper than the Wessex and looks to be a good unit with similar features. I bought mine about 18 months ago to tidy up 7 acres (we had no animals then and the land was getting in a mess) it performed well and was easily pulled by my quad, even up a fairly steep hillside (I use the Yamaha Grizzly 660) but I'm certain even a 250 quad would pull it without too much difficulty. I haven't used mine very much since buying it as the animals do the work of keeping the grass and rushes down for me now.
To be honest with you, I should really have opted for a small tractor instead of a quad as the quad attachments are VERY pricey! Tractor attachments are 10 a penny by comparison and you can have a very usefull front loader on a tractor that you don't get with a quad. That said, I have nowhere to keep a tractor and I didn't think it worthwhile buying one for such a small acreage.
How much land will you use it on, is it overgrown with weeds, rushes, brambles and so on or is it just grass that needs topping? If it's the latter and you're only going to use it for grazing purposes after it's been cut, then I would look for a mower rather than a flail, even better, a friendly farmer will top your land using a tractor for a reasonable price saving you quite a large sum of money.
Hope this is of some help.
Gordon.

Squinky

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 06:44:10 am »
Thanks Gordon. I want to reclaim about 2 acres that has gone wild with thistles, nettles etc and also top 4 acres of grass. Toyed with the idea of a tractor, but can't justify the purchase of tractor and attachments. I already have a quad. I may also tidy another paddock for someone, which is too steep and awkward for a tractor. The quad would get most of it safely.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 09:16:14 am »
Why not get a donkey, or rather two? They love thistles and nettles at this time of year, they're much more interesting to talk to than a topper, run on grass and only  need a basic shelter. 
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 08:57:28 am »
Hi, Can I put a different suggestion into your pot....Sheep!

I have four acres of grazing ground which was waist high, and thick with nettles docks, thistles etc.  To put it succinctly, to compliment my two horses, I have bought four ewes and with their annual offspring it has been easily cleared. The paddocks look like well maintained lawns now. The once pretty sparse grass is thick varied and lush and is enough, with careful management, to sustain all the animals throughout the year.

Yes the sheep get supplementary feeds during winter, need worming, vax etc, and the horses are mostly brought in at night all year round.  But we get free lamb for the freezer for the whole family, our friends get lamb too (their ££ contribution covers costs)

In addition to using the sheep to clear the land and improve the grass I have over the years done some judicious spot spraying and hand dug ragwort!

Had I bought a mover/ flailer  for my quad it would have cost me masses of money, it would have only been used a couple of times a year....and not really got rid of the weeds. It would have then sat in a shed depreciating for the rest of the time and would have needed expensive maintenance!!!  ....and it would not have given me the pleasure and satisfaction that the ewes and their lambs have!!! Mowers just aren't cuddly!!   ;D ;D

Ok on the downside, you need to be patient..... it takes time for the animals to do their job....

But for me there is no comparison!
Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS