Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Marking black sheep  (Read 2952 times)

Claire B

• Joined Apr 2019
Marking black sheep
« on: June 01, 2019, 09:01:41 am »
Can anyone recommend a marker for our Welsh Black Mountain sheep that will last longer than a day or two please?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Marking black sheep
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 09:10:36 am »
Hi Claire, the simple answer is no, not really. However, you might find this thread useful.

Failing that, how about white gloss paint?  :coat:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 09:47:57 am »
Tying some white or brightly coloured wool yarn into the fleece works.  We tied yarn markers into the neck wool of two of our black lambs, stayed in for weeks and was very visible.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 09:48:27 am »
Are the white sprays no good?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 03:09:31 pm »
Are the white sprays no good?

Oddly, yellow shows up better.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Claire B

• Joined Apr 2019
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 02:49:44 pm »
Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions. Can’t find a white marker on the market; can anyone help? The yellow only lasts a couple of days. May have to try tying in wool yarn but would mean buying it specially as I’m no knitter!

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 08:19:29 pm »
Blue raddle used on our ewes was still faintly visible when we lambed them.  I use a blue spray when I need to see the mark the following week.  Yellow disappears the fastest.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 08:43:15 pm »
Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions. Can’t find a white marker on the market; can anyone help? The yellow only lasts a couple of days. May have to try tying in wool yarn but would mean buying it specially as I’m no knitter!

Charity shops often have yarn ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 09:51:44 pm »
Or eBay  :idea:
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2019, 04:43:39 pm »
The yellow only lasts a couple of days.

Try different brands. I've found the Carrs Billington own brand yellow and orange show up well and last longer than other makes such as Nettex Marksman.

Also some areas are more prone to rubbing off than others.

If you really need something long lasting then could you use raddle paste? There were traces in our tup's fleece for months after tupping. Just not sure if the oil would be an issue in the hotter months?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS