Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Vaccination  (Read 2340 times)

Valairiel

• Joined May 2019
Vaccination
« on: May 26, 2019, 06:19:39 pm »
Can anyone advise me if I can put my lambs out into the field (no other animals in there) after administering Heptavac P vaccination or is there is a period where they need to remain inside? 

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Vaccination
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 07:51:45 pm »
I'm not quite sure why you would think they would need to be housed? Yes, fine to put them out!

Valairiel

• Joined May 2019
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 08:21:54 pm »
Thank you.  I had read somewhere that the vaccine took 48 hours before it was effective so was being overly cautious.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 08:44:28 pm »
They aren’t fully covered until after the second injection 4-6 weeks after the first. They’ll be fine out in the field unless they’ve been housed up until the first jab. It can be quite hard on lambs so try not to stress them too much in the days after I.e don’t turn out for the first time or introduce new feed, wean etc  :)

Valairiel

• Joined May 2019
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 10:38:55 am »
They have been housed until now so perhaps I'd better keep them in longer.  They only came off milk recently so they've already had enough to cope with.  Thank you.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 12:07:39 pm »
It can be quite hard on lambs

Truthfully, I've never noticed any effect at all on lambs except small lumps at the injection site, which are considered normal.

As a non-scientific poll then, please will you "like" this post IF AND ONLY IF you have seen adverse effects on lambs behaviour, energy levels etc after vaccination. I'd be interested  to find out how widespread (or otherwise) that is.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 12:16:31 pm »
It affects my pet lambs more than normal suckled lambs. Noticed flu like symptoms and had the odd lamb scour temporarily. One of my ewes reacted quite badly to her pre lambing booster this year scouring bad and lethargy for a day after.

We did our lambs second jab on Saturday and noticed 1 had an abscess, first one since we started using the sterimatic injection gun.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2019, 04:18:09 pm »
Mine have never seemed off colour or had a lump with heptavac p but alway have had a lump or abcess with footvax.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2019, 04:27:09 pm »
I have not pressed Like as I have seen reactions in ewes and hoggs but cannot recall anything notable in lambs. However I have not usually routinely vaccinated lambs, only the pets some years.

Our vet in Cumbria recommended using Ovivac-P for lambs generally (not pets) as it is less hard on them and covers most of the diseases likely to hit a lamb in its first summer and for which the passive immunity from the mother is short-lived.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 11:42:49 am »
Not seen any reqction in lambs but I have occasionally in goat kids. And invariably when they are the youngest in the group and/ or compromised, for example were particularly weak at birth

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 06:51:28 am »
I stopped vaccinating years ago but when I did I used to see the occasional abscess at the injection site on both lambs and ewes.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2019, 07:43:09 pm »
Just thought I'd add this to this thread even though it's not about lambs. I Heptavac my ewes every year and have done for the last 8 years.I always use a clean needle and clean syringe for each sheep, I've only got 4. Every year some of them or all of them get abscesses. I make sure the injection site is clean and give the injection subcutaneously. Last year they were all very lethargic for a couple of days and all started coughing. which lasted about a day for 3 of them and 2 days for 1 of them. I reported all of this to the drug company, who said they'd never had a report like this. Just thought I'd share this and see if anyone else has had anything similar.
4 pet sheep

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS