Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Started my milking journey  (Read 2933 times)

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
Started my milking journey
« on: May 20, 2019, 08:16:21 pm »
I've dreamt of having my own milk for years and now the jersey heifer i got for christmas 2 years ago has had her first calf and i'm milking every evening. Not getting a great deal at the moment (mastitis in one quarter and getting 300-400ml total from the other three)
Lovely having your own milk in the fridge!

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Started my milking journey
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 01:46:01 am »
Congratulations! Milk looks fabulous!

What did you cross her with I'd you don't mind me asking? The calf is beautiful!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 07:48:45 am »
Well she was meant to go away overwinter to see a Galloway bull, however one of our last pair of rose veal calves got a bit keen before his time was up, so it's actually a Jersey X Guernsey, shame it's a bull calf!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 09:41:55 am »
You milking by hand or machine?

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 02:02:06 pm »
Hand, i have access to a machine potentially but i'm a short distance from power and i'd need to swap the goat cluster for cow, then there's all the cleaning. So for now, i'm going with hand. My technique needs improving  but is not horrendous, starts going well but i guess she just starts to hold back.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 02:36:25 pm »
Amazing! Good for you  :thumbsup:

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 03:33:04 pm »
Amazing! Good for you  :thumbsup:

Thanks, it's great having your own milk in the fridge, we get good local, unhomogenised guernsey milk to the doorstep anyway, so we're already a bit spoiled, but i would probably drink more if the monthly bill wasn't getting a bit crazy (13pt/week!!). So milking here means i get more milk (i know it'll cost more in reality, it's all psychology!), plus i'm back to drinking raw which i haven't had for over 5 years.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 10:16:28 am »

What are your thoughts on machine milking one cow?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 05:44:39 pm »

What are your thoughts on machine milking one cow?

I am of the opinion we can’t do it here, because it’s essential to be 100% rigorous in cleaning the equipment each day, and using chemicals too, and we are unlikely to be able to manage that (being a community with a team managing the milking.). But I am probably going to have the conversation with the others again, because Hillie our Jersey is producing 11-13L a day (once a day milking) and it takes a long time by hand!  :o.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 06:04:02 pm »
Well it's just me here, so i have control over all aspects. The cleaning is one thing that is putting me off but someone else is saying it's only a little more than i'm already cleaning and the machine draws the liquid through itself

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 11:05:59 am »
Well it's just me here, so i have control over all aspects. The cleaning is one thing that is putting me off but someone else is saying it's only a little more than i'm already cleaning and the machine draws the liquid through itself

Up until now I’ve always said I preferred the hand milking option for one milk cow.  I experienced both ways when WWOOFing, and at that time felt the time was about the same for one cow, but hand milking you can do anywhere, you’re up close and personal with your cow, you Zen out with the rhythmic swish-swoosh of the jets into the pail against the background of nature’s sounds... it’s every bit as idyllic as it sounds!  Whereas a milking machine is noisy and man-made, drowns out other sounds, needs to be near a source of power and running water, and then all the chemicals... :/. But, now Hillie is being so very productive (and her last year’s calf is gone and we didn’t get her in calf again last year, so we’re milking the lot for the summer this year), although it sounds idyllic, I’m keeping her stood in one spot for the best part of an hour every day, if we’re not early in the morning the flies bug her, if we do it too late in the evening it’s the midges... So my feelings are a bit mixed at the mo.

And if you’re on your own, it’s going to be much easier to find a relief milker to use a machine if you want a few days away....
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 10:11:39 pm »
Got hold of a bucket milker from family, refurbished the vacuum pump (ancient and seized) and got it working today.
Milked her one side at a time with a goat cluster which i'll continue to do until i can afford liners for my cow cluster
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 07:33:16 am by greenbeast »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS