Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poultry production query  (Read 1849 times)

LeeHambone

• Joined Jun 2017
Poultry production query
« on: May 19, 2019, 06:58:30 pm »
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster (I think)

My other half and I are hoping to have a small holding within the next year or so and I was pondering a few ideas including producing poultry on a small scale for local sale. Forgive me for asking though, what can you, or do you have to do officially with any by-products like feathers, internal organs etc presumably you can't just bin what you can't use..?

Thanks in advance

Lee

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Poultry production query
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 08:21:18 pm »
Just checked on the gov website - you are supposed to pack them and give them to a company that will make sure they will be incinerated.

I'm planning to do pastures poultry properly too. Hopefully very soon  :fc:
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 08:56:01 pm »
Hi Lee, someone who knows more will be along in a while I imagine.  I would say that anything small scale would usually be prohibitive when selling to the public because of the red tape and set up costs. Its one thing killing, plucking and storing a bird for your own consumption but when its intended for sale its a totally different matter.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 10:12:31 pm »
Not really. It's actually fairly easy and doesn't have to be expensive. All you need is a small building/container with plastic walls + plucking machine + scalding machine + killing station + stunner + chiller + gutting table
It's all doable and you can get good return
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 06:50:32 am »
Not really. It's actually fairly easy and doesn't have to be expensive. All you need is a small building/container with plastic walls + plucking machine + scalding machine + killing station + stunner + chiller + gutting table
It's all doable and you can get good return

What about inspections, food hygiene ratings, commercial fridges/freezers and refrigerated vans if delivering? With all of the kit mentioned above I wouldn't really call that small scale either  :-\
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 06:52:29 am by bj_cardiff »

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 07:52:11 am »
By law it's called " small scale" up to 10,000 birds a year! You are allowed to slaughter that many on farm.

LeeHambone

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 07:11:13 pm »
Thanks for the replies. Good to know there are companies that can take it. Can you freeze it until disposal?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS