Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Very raised bed  (Read 2781 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Very raised bed
« on: May 08, 2019, 08:15:46 pm »
Ah, the joy of gardening without back-ache. It's proof of concept really but i may make more--- perhaps more permanent in the future- say blocks and perforated ally tread-plate rather than fill the whole thing with stuff.
Asparagus will take three years I guess from my seedlings so a catch crop of sp onion seedlings and lettuce at the mo'. Strawb's the other side again a year for them to recover and crop.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Very raised bed
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 08:43:24 pm »
Nice looking beds. I have raised beds because I am disabled so that I can sit and work. Mine are the whole depth. Wish I'd thought of having them on legs so they don't need so much filling, although it was a good way of using up a lot of goat manure.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 11:35:21 pm »
I've had mine that height since I retired.  Makes a huge difference.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 07:03:35 am »
Nice!

Now put a ring of copper tape around each of the legs to keep the slugs out...... and watch the birds peck at all your seedlings instead! :-D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 09:28:57 am »
Nice!

Now put a ring of copper tape around each of the legs to keep the slugs out...... and watch the birds peck at all your seedlings instead! :-D

Easy to install a net if needed... I was contemplating slug-proof... was thinking about an inverted V type collar with sharpened edge. I thought copper tape was debunked?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 11:12:31 am »
Yes, I saw a report not so long ago that they crawled over copper tape.  I've got mine in my chicken and duck garden so the slugs are kept down, and the raised beds are netted so the hens can't use them as dust baths
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 02:27:27 pm »
I thought copper tape was debunked?

Ooooh, it seems you're right!  I have never actually tried it, since we installed "ducks" instead.

A couple of wraps of it made live with a battery seems to be better though?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 09:54:59 am »
Nice!

Put the legs of such beds on a paving slab as the weight of the beds on grass will eventually start to cause the beds to sink & they might not sink evenly .

Re slugs & snails  yep the copper band does not work if applied as a single band .. though it might work if two bands are used with a slight separation & one band is of zinc so it becomes a battery   ..

Stand each leg in an oil resistant plastic container & drop an inch or two of used engine oil in the tub ..It also keeps out ants and helps stop rot to the legs as well as giving you somewhere to put used engine oil .

Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 10:57:06 am »

Re slugs & snails  yep the copper band does not work if applied as a single band .. though it might work if two bands are used with a slight separation & one band is of zinc so it becomes a battery   ..

Stand each leg in an oil resistant plastic container & drop an inch or two of used engine oil in the tub ..It also keeps out ants and helps stop rot to the legs as well as giving you somewhere to put used engine oil

I think the oil pot would end up with oveflow from rain and a nasty slurry of partially emulsified oil below. Multiple metal strips as per your battery might work (expensive) but then so should things like a coil of miniature razor wire but all gets a bit nasty for other things.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 03:06:08 pm »
Put a split disc of cheap pond liner round each leg and secure it to th leg with stainless  steel hand fired staples if you have a stapler .
Make sure the spread of the umbrella . skirt   is bigger than the can containing the oil .

They should look a bit like large brassica anti cut fly collars,  about 10 inches in diameter & form a cone when overlapped & stapled to the legs.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

sheeponthebrain

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Turriff
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 10:15:03 pm »
i always found old rusty cattle troughs made cheap easy raised beds

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2019, 03:54:05 am »
@PKVet
Just noticed the long run of your beds .
Do you have any device besides the upright braces  every six foot or so to stop the bed walls bulging out when the soil gets wet ?  6 mm stainless steel rodding joiners 7 big stainless penny washers with nyloc nuts could make a usefull tie  rod set up .

All 26 of my 36 inch deep beds are made of engineering bricks on  proper concrete foot wide foundations as square yard boxes , all the inner walls are all properly tied in bricks  to full wall height .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS