Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Thinking about a new venture. Help ideas anyone  (Read 4066 times)

Pest control

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Angus
Thinking about a new venture. Help ideas anyone
« on: May 07, 2019, 07:54:22 pm »
Hi everyone. Now I’m well in to my 40s I’m looking to get into crofting/small holding as a new venture / passion to become a crofter I would be looking to rent somewhere. Smallish to start and still currently saving. Can anyone tell me if I would be entitled to any type of start up grant. Or. Other types of grants to help a dream become a reality 

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Thinking about a new venture. Help ideas anyone
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 11:37:10 pm »
Crofts are only in certain parts of Scotland.  Rosemary knows a lot about them.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
Re: Thinking about a new venture. Help ideas anyone
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 08:42:44 pm »
It's very, very rare you'll find a croft to rent, usually you have to buy a tenancy.  The crofting grants are a bit up in the air at the moment because of the Brexit situation - most of the available grants are EU-funded and one of them (can't remember which, think it's capital improvements) is currently closed to applications because there's no more money in the pot. 

If you get yourself on the Scottish Crofting Federation's list, they'll let you know when a tenancy comes up in the area you're interested in:  https://www.crofting.org/home

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS