Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Underwear for smallholders!  (Read 2818 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Underwear for smallholders!
« on: May 06, 2019, 11:36:19 am »
So when we moved here and I started wearing wellies rather a lot, I threw out all of my pairs of socks that kept slipping down and annoying me. I replaced them with a whole fleet of sports socks from TKMaxx, which I found stayed up perfectly.

Fast forward five years or so and they've all decided to wear out simultaneously. However, I haven't yet been able to find suitable replacements.

Can anybody recommend a good source of comfortable, stay-up-in-wellies socks please?

Also, whilst I'm on, I have recently discovered bollox boxer shorts, and quite simply they are the comfiest and bestest made boxers I have ever owned. They're not cheap of course, but a portion of the profits does go towards fighting testicular cancer. Highly recommended if you possess a pair of b*****ks, or love somebody who does  ;D.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Underwear for smallholders!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 01:06:12 pm »
The trick is to tuck your trouser legs into your socks (which need to have enough length of cuff to then stay up.). They’ll stay put all day, in and out of wellies as many times as you like.  You look a divot when you go shopping in your shoes (or worse, Crocs) and forget you’ve tucked your trousers in, but it’s a small price to pay, in my book.  :D

So anything reasonably stretchy and with a leg at least as long as the foot.  I personally like Bridgedale / Cool Max type socks (and they wear very well), or any cotton rich sock with a decent leg length. 

I wear thick socks over the top when the weather demands it. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 01:42:19 pm »
B&M (if you have one anywhere near you).. cheap store around the cheshire area does a similar underpant to the Womble link cheap and comfy in packs of 4 (don't quote me but think about £5/6 a pack) and also do cheap packs of workwear socks about £4 for 4?. I've swapped all my stuff for those. They also do coffee about £1 a jar cheaper than the competition.
I don't see either socks or pants on their website for a link but at those prices almost worth a detour if passing.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 04:37:14 pm »
Primark Wilson socks. My favourite thick socks for wellies
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Justin

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 06:46:58 am »
Bought some of these a while back to replace a bunch of expensive bridgedales that wore out. Been wearing them every day for months and they're warm, comfy and, as mentioned above you tuck your trousers into them, stay up all day in wellies.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074RM659R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 10:56:15 am »
Lidl regularly have packs of three thick ‘work socks’ for £4.99.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 11:24:00 am »
For the outer sock (I use a thin inner with an outer thicker when needed), those Kirkland Signature merino from the US look great, and good value.

More expensive, but if you want a fabulous, hardwearing and long-lasting, wool sock made in Britain from British wool, these are the Stanbury Walker from John Arbon socks. I have several pairs and they are tremendous.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 10:50:09 pm »
I checked the price on the stuff i buy. 5 pairs work-socks £3.99 and 3 pairs Hipster pants £6.99

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 10:59:12 pm »
i have to admit that i fly through socks, mainly due to the fact that the holes come on the heels and no matter which way i try it, there's nothing worse than feeling a seam on the heel. For this reason, i don't buy expensive, just bulk buy off ebay/amazon thick socks, wear wear, wash wash etc and the minute the holes come, bin.
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 06:47:26 am »
The workwear socks last pretty well.. very well if you consider that they come in size 6-11 and I'm cramming my size 14's in there (yes they do work comfortablyl). By having them all one colour it's a case of throw a sock, not a pair

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 12:52:40 am »
HJ indestructible socks last a long time
 from HJ.co.uk

They are not cheap
 Their website is worth a look
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS