Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: DIY 'pilings'  (Read 1031 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
DIY 'pilings'
« on: May 04, 2019, 09:04:39 pm »
I'm sure I'm not the first person to come up with this bt I wanted to build on a slope and didnt want to mess abot making huge foundations or digging it level.. so soil downpipe concreted in and filled with concrete.
To get them vertical without huge holes or long posts meant cutting them accurately square then measuring the surface level. To mark them square the easy way is wrap a sheet of paper round, lining up the edges then tape to that edge.

End result...

Justin

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Devon
Re: DIY 'pilings'
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 06:51:51 am »
Nicely done. Having lived in the US, I've never quite understood why we don't use the cardboard form tubes for making foundations like that. It's very popular over there and much easier than digging a big foundation if you're diy'ing it. How big a hole did you dig to concrete in the pipes and what did you use to attached the timbers to them?

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 09:04:47 am »
Or when you need more substantial ones on 'made up' ground to build a shed on as I did

http://lizburton.co.uk/wordpress/work-on-the-smallholding/building-a-pole-barn-part-2/

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 10:36:18 am »
Nicely done. Having lived in the US, I've never quite understood why we don't use the cardboard form tubes for making foundations like that. It's very popular over there and much easier than digging a big foundation if you're diy'ing it. How big a hole did you dig to concrete in the pipes and what did you use to attached the timbers to them?

This was 4" soil pipe, holes made with a post spade so not much more than 9-12" - just a case of getting down to the undersoil clay/gravel. I haven't attached the timbers yet. Original plan is simply to make a collar of mortar then mastic around the timber going into the collar. The mass of the structure + soil has to be near 2.5 tons. It's not going anywhere until it rots. I might just use the mastic. If it was built on a  flat surface one wouldn't bother anchoring

I did think about leaving the top part of the tubes empty and some all-thread in the ends of the timbers but then the  nuisance of setting up all the legs vertical and a third pour (first pour was setting the tubes, second was tamping them full). I did see a very nice timber car port where the thick verticals were off the ground on 1.5" threads to keep them from rotting but that sort of structure with pitch roof and slatted sides is a heap more of a wind trap/lift surface.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS