Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Triplets!  (Read 3021 times)

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Triplets!
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2019, 08:48:21 am »
Bad news I’m afraid, we lost him, nothing obvious, I guess whatever it was I was too late. Thank you everyone for your help and input.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2019, 09:18:10 am »
Sorry

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2019, 09:28:05 am »
Are your sheep on the heptavac system? If so have the lambs had their first jab? Sudden deaths like this can be due to pasturella or any one of the other diseases that heptavac prevents, and if he’s a month old maternal immunity from colostrum could be weakening. It would be worth a post mortem this morning if the cause of death is not evident

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2019, 09:52:11 am »
Yes they are on Heptavac but I don't do the lambs, I do the others 4-6 weeks prior to lambing but this year it was more 7 weeks to keep within the 365 days and they lambed a few days later than expected?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2019, 10:00:39 am »
I tend to do my ewes based on their lambing date rather than keeping it within the 1 year. I think the earliest you can do heptavac on lambs from vaccinated ewes is 3 weeks so you could do the rest of the lambs if a pm showed it was a disease that is covered by hep.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2019, 10:16:51 am »
The reason I started with Heptavac was that I lost a ewe lamb a few years ago, pm showed pulpy kidney so now thinking I should do all the lambs this year and maybe next year the ewes closer to lambing date rather than the 365 days? feel like damned if we do damned if we don't sometimes.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2019, 10:26:55 am »
Yes, always heptavac so earliest lamber had her booster three weeks before she lambed. 365 days much less important. And if you have a problem, you can Ovivac or Heptavac the lambs from three weeks, as has been said.

Sorry you lost this one  :hug:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2019, 10:36:01 am »
I am going to heptavac the other 9 lambs, and I will do the adults nearer to lambing next year, everydays a school day!

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2019, 10:52:31 am »
Make sure they have both jabs 4-6 weeks apart as full immunity isn’t acquired until the 2nd jab. Then if you keep any ewe lambs they can go onto annual boosters when you do your ewes pre lambing (and I do the rams then as well)  :)  I tend to do my ewes 4 weeks before the first is due, so technically the ewes lambing on week 3 are 7 weeks after their booster- but never had a problem. Then I normally do first hep on the lambs 5-6 weeks old.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2019, 04:35:50 pm »
Picked up 2 bottles today so I can repeat in 4 weeks, so do you do the ewes prior to lambing AND also do the lambs?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 07:26:50 am by dixie »

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2019, 10:30:11 pm »
Yes if you do the ewes 4-6 weeks before lambing it will give the lambs protection for the first few weeks of life through colostrum antibodies. That protection starts to weaken though after about 4 weeks give or take, so that’s when you give the lambs their first dose, and then again 4-6 weeks after. This should then protect them for a full year. If you’re keeping any to breed from I would then do their annual booster when you do the pre lambing booster, then they are in sync with the flock ewes (so my March born lambs had their first jabs over Easter weekend, and having the second tomorrow. Then the ewe lambs will have their booster in January which will then put them on the annual booster programme with the ewes).

Just make sure the lambs are dry when you inject as heptavac can cause abscesses if injecting with wet fleece.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2019, 07:26:24 am »
Thanks twizzle, I didn’t realise the protection via ewes wore off that soon, don’t know why but I assumed it was longer  ::)

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS