Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stock fencing & a stream  (Read 2768 times)

Nelson International

• Joined Aug 2017
Stock fencing & a stream
« on: April 25, 2019, 11:39:39 am »
Hiya,

I've got to fix some fencing in order to bring one of my fields into the sheep grazing rotation. Most of it is fine, but there's a stream that runs through the side of the field that needs taking care of. I need to keep the sheep from wandering out of the field, but I'm concerned about a blockage picking up sticks and the like.

The stream is sunken down below the rest of the field level. So as it stands the stock fencing just runs across the stream, suspended about a meter above the bed (& the water level is never more than a few inches). A git like this:

#######################  <-- fence
 ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ\       /ŻŻŻŻŻŻ <--field
                            \~~/ <- stream

I've tried reading a bit about this online, but some guidance from anyone with experience of this sort of thing would be very helpful and gratefully received.

clanger

• Joined May 2018
Re: Stock fencing & a stream
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 04:08:24 pm »

william_wt

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 05:53:37 pm »
We have a similar stream and fixed a wooden bar across the stream at the bottom of the fence. We then nailed sheepwire to the bar so it hung feely down to a foot above the stream level. A short post was nailed to the bottom to weigh it down, but it can still move if the stream floods and debris hits it.  Its lasted 3 years so far with no escapees or flood damage.
William

Nelson International

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 07:44:56 pm »
Thanks ????

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS