Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb with weeping nose  (Read 1203 times)

Aprilshowers

• Joined Apr 2019
Lamb with weeping nose
« on: April 25, 2019, 07:41:51 am »
Hello.  I recently took on a newborn triplet lamb that wasn’t going to survive in the lambing pen and have been looking after it in our home.  No outdoor facilities.  She’s been doing well but at about 10 days old she had a red spot in her nostril which then burst and oozed a pus liquid?  The other nostril has done the same.  She’s now 18days old. Have been to the vets and said it might be Orf?  Looked up online and it’s horrible.  My lamb’s nose doesn’t look like that but it is something yuck.  Have been careful with hand washing and sterilising her bottle teat but worried about contamination in my house.  She has been going back to the farm to mix with the other lambs as she will be going to a friends hobby farm when she’s old enough.   Any useful advice please?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Lamb with weeping nose
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 08:02:11 am »
Give us a fighting chance - pictures please!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Aprilshowers

• Joined Apr 2019
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 08:25:51 pm »
Had to wait for extra pair of hands to take photos.  Treating it as Orf as needing to be careful of catching it!

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 04:50:09 pm »
Does not look at the moment like orf , crusty  blocked nostrils seems to occur in lambs some years and not others

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS