Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Swallows  (Read 15912 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Swallows
« on: April 18, 2019, 02:37:59 am »
Swallows in the barn this morning. (17th)
Noisy little critters  ;D

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Swallows
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 11:39:14 am »
I saw my first Tuesday morning and by the afternoon another had arrived - summer must be here :D

PhilW

• Joined Jan 2011
  • North Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 12:33:21 pm »
Our first arrived 3rd April, we now have 6 in the stables rebuilding 3 of last years nests. Although they are having to fly some distance to the nearest beck for mud as we have had no rain since the start of March. We are in North Lincs.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 01:49:46 pm »
Still waiting for ours in Mid Wales.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 02:43:18 pm »
First one was in the goatshed yesterday morning (17/04) announcing its presence while I milked. By the evening two were dozing in the rafters and they are now flying about. I really get excited when they are first back, but by July their droppings will be everywhere - incl on my goats! and in particular in the water buckets... but I love them!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 06:44:25 pm »
I've been watching every day for ours to arrive, but nary a twitter.  The wind is due to become a southerly any minute, so they will arrive then.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 08:05:21 pm »
Omg omg omg, I read this post and just had to go out side , I'm glad I did, 2 swooping about.
Suddenly I feel so much happier   :excited: :excited:

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 09:58:18 pm »
yes here in North Wales- saw two on the 16th April. Such a welcome sight

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 10:11:05 pm »
It's great to see them back isn't it? Don't know what's so special, they just are.
With you there Anke, not so much on the goats, but i leave empty plastic sacks over lots of things,
we get sent out of the barn when we need to do anything in there, to give them a rest from scolding us for an hour  ;D
Hope yours turn up soon FW and ItH, any day now  :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 05:17:12 pm »
Ten days later, nearly the end of April, and we still have not a single swallow  :'(   There are some just half a mile along the road, but none here.  Last year some didn't arrive until into May, so we're still hopeful, and we look out for them every day.  It's great to be able to hear the other birds going about their days, sounds which are normally drowned out by swallow chatter, but without the swallows I can't believe it's summer, and I can't help but worry that all of 'our' swallows have been wiped out on their epic trip.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 05:18:50 pm by Fleecewife »

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2019, 10:18:22 pm »
I too am a bit concerned, we now have 3 swallows.
looks like at least one is female , but when will the rest turn up ? the new nest is nearly done I just hope she successful and the eggs don't get stolen by the magpies

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2019, 05:29:48 pm »
They're here  :yippee: :yippee: :relief: .  We were watching a sparrow hawk which had leapt out of a shrub a few feet from where we were working in the garden, and we noticed it was being mobbed - by swallows  8) .  It hadn't caught anything in it's ambush, but they went after it anyway. I think 4 may have been from next door, out as a welcoming party for the two new arrivals, but those two are definitely going to investigate their old nest sites in our buildings here.  There was almost a tear in my eye  :'(  plus the smiles  :sunshine:

Zyg

• Joined Nov 2018
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2019, 03:53:47 pm »
I think ours arrived at about the same time as OPs - ie two weeks ago - two pairs.
I love watching them swooping into the barn and their low flying around the yard.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2019, 09:09:31 pm »
upset, one of the cats 10+ years old has had a swallow, these are cats that share a feed bowl with the black birds ( who eat more cat food than the cats)  >:( >:(

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2019, 09:35:50 pm »
upset, one of the cats 10+ years old has had a swallow, these are cats that share a feed bowl with the black birds ( who eat more cat food than the cats)  >:( >:(

That is a shame and horrible to see.  Cats are really bad for birds.  Since our last beautiful cat (of a long line ) died a few years back, not to be replaced, our bird numbers have gone up.  The swallows hated her and they would dive bomb her as she sat prominently, pretending to wash her bum but really poised to leap up at the swallows.  I only saw her catch one. A collar with a bell would have made no difference as the taunting was definitely two sided, with the swallows playing chicken and laughing all the way.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS