Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: SCALY LEG  (Read 2482 times)

Loumackley

• Joined Oct 2014
SCALY LEG
« on: April 15, 2019, 08:24:59 am »
How do people treat this ? Apart from the raised leg scales the chicken is perfectly happy. I’ve been using some spray but have heard about immersing the legs in surgical spirit (what dilution though ?) Are there any other tried and tested methods ? Is it true that the legs will return to normal after a moult or is that an old farmer’s wife’s tale ?! Thanks .....

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: SCALY LEG
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 12:34:41 pm »
We use surgical spirit, undiluted, followed by smearing the legs with petroleum jelly (vaseline).  This is repeated once a week about three times.  Yes, the raised scales will be moulted along with the feathers. I wonder if it's worth smearing on the vaseline as the scales start to grow back, just to make sure the mites can't breathe and recolonise the legs.  Scaley leg is painful for the bird because the scales lift and pull, sometimes causing bleeding.
It's a good idea to examine the legs of any new birds you are thinking of purchasing so you don't introduce scaley leg if you don't already have it.  I wish we had known that back in the day, when we were gifted 6 beautiful bantams  :(
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 12:57:13 pm »
We've treated this successfully with a brush (or very soft toothbrush) and olive oil- it gets under the scales and suffocates the mites. The correct treatment is Benzol Benzoate, which is also used on humans to treat scabies. Not all breeds of chicken shed their scales with the annual moult- Wyandottes, Leghorns, Marans and Buff Orpingtons don't. Our Orpington cock shed his at 8 years! Take care you don't tear the scales off. You can simply immerse the legs in olive oil of course. We treated one hen who had become increasingly aggressive- the effect was immediate and she returned to her former easy-going self, so it must be a very painful condition.

Please don't attempt WD40, which is one stupid remedy banded about a while back. Someone tried it and the chicken screamed in agony until it had all been washed out.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 12:59:31 pm »
I just smear them with loads of Vaseline, any knobbly bits seem to absorb the grease and drop off while the mites suffocate

abc123

• Joined Oct 2018
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 10:05:24 pm »
Also surgical spirit is painful for the bird too. Use a generous layer of vaseline and cover with something, be it a bandage or something like that. Are the legs clean or feathered? That can affect treatment styles.

Wd40 makes me shiver with the thought of the pain. :coat:  :yuck:
Totally agree chris

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 10:45:25 pm »
Nettex scaly leg spray and vaseline.

Anyone who uses wd40 or anything of the kind should have it applied on wounds on their own body first...  >:(

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 10:47:27 am »
And another daft idea for treatment was in a book called 'Beginners Guide to Keeping Chickens' -Lee Faber. The book says about treatment "The vet will put something on the legs, which effectively suffocates the mites. Dipping their legs in OLD ENGINE OIL is messier, but also does the trick..."

abc123

• Joined Oct 2018
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 12:54:35 pm »
 :o :o >:(  :huff: That is totally inhumane. Why would people give advice like that??

Just stick with Vaseline Loumackley. Although it is a petroleum product, it doesnt cause any pain, as far as anyone knows and it does work.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 02:04:14 am »
I use ivomec! a couple of drops from a dropper orally or on the skin! clears up in no time! You will need to avoid eating any eggs from treated birds for a few days, but it really does work and will also kill any others worms/parasites tey may have!

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 08:23:58 pm »
Ivermectin, 2 drops on the bird ones a week for 3 weeks job done , kills all mights and worms to I think, 3 weeks withdrawal on eggs tho

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS