Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pet Pygmy goat issues  (Read 1252 times)

pygmygoathens

• Joined Apr 2019
Pet Pygmy goat issues
« on: April 11, 2019, 02:45:58 pm »
We have had two pygmy goats- one neutered male and one female, for about three years, and we are reaching the end of our tether! We got them from a petting farm who don't keep their kids, and it took lots of work for them to like human interaction, but they quickly became very confident- too confident! The boy, in particular, is very pushy, likes to stand in your way, jump, rear and headbutt. This gets worse in summer when the girl will join in with warning rears. The boy will headbutt anything he can- he has destroyed several chicken coops and a brand new shed, which was empty! They have a nice outdoor grass paddock with hens, a climbing frame for them, paved areas, plants, trees, a nice house and are given good food. It has got to the point where they are difficult to manage and destructive, we are considering rehoming them. This will be a shame because when they aren't posturing or breaking things, they are lovely, affectionate and fun. Is there anything we can do to fix these issues? Anything to add to their enclosure to redirect the head butting or make them less bored?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Pet Pygmy goat issues
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 11:21:36 pm »
Using a water pistol when they butt is generally recognised as the best way to stop it. Make sure you don't let them see where the water is coming from so they link it to their behaviour and, hopefully, stop. Rehoming might be difficult unless you tell any prospective owners why you are rehoming. It wouldn't be fair to keep quiet about it and the animals would probably then be forever being moved from one new owner to another.

Personally, with my goats which were dairy goats, I used to give a sharp slap on the side of the face and that worked with most of them. I did have one troublesome one who used to knock me flying because she had worked out that I am not steady on my feet. I used to have bruises down my arms and legs where I'd him gate posts and door frames. I stopped her in the end as we ate her. I must admit that I did enjoy eating that one. Revenge is sweet.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS