Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Thomson and Morgan going bust?  (Read 7129 times)

FaeFife

• Joined Jul 2012
Thomson and Morgan going bust?
« on: April 08, 2019, 01:23:48 pm »
Hi, does anyone know if the seed and Plant firm Thomson and Morgan are going bust? I ordered a few strawberry plants from them on 1st of March, with a five day dispatch time and still haven’t received them. I sent a few emails over the weeks and was told twice they were picked and in the warehouse but now a 10 day dispatch time! I tried phoning customer service but they will not answer. I then looked on their Facebook page and there are a lot of customers with the same complaints. That’s where I read about them going bust but I was wondering if anyone here had heard anything.

sandspider

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Bristol
Re: Thomson and Morgan going bust?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 01:40:43 pm »
I've generally had poor quality plug plants from them, so can't say it would surprise me.

They sent out a new catalogue a couple of weeks or so ago, however.

In conclusion, I don't know, and this doesn't really help you!  :P

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
  • Herefordshire/Shropshire Border
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 01:44:02 pm »
My recent order arrived and the strawberry plants were all dead anyway. 

Since my order, I have been spammed by email from them every single day despite unsubscribing each and every time and having not signed up to their marketing in the first place. 

Personally, I would not use them again, however good their 'offers' may initially appear. 

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 03:30:25 pm »
Oh dear, I've had a really bad feeling about my order and now I'm really wondering! In short - no idea, but I've had a similar problem. I've contacted them and been sent revised dispatch times, which wouldn't be so bad if said revised dates hadn't also passed by the time they (finally) sent them to me... I've had new catalogues and constant emails since too. Used to order from them a fair bit a few years back, but not for a while. Suffice it to say I won't be doing so again...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 05:04:03 pm »

Fortunately I bought my whole order from DT Brown this year and they were with me very promptly.  I like them, and what seems to be their sister company Mr Fothergills. 
When you are buying plants/modules, they come not from the seedsmen but from outsourced producers, and the earlier you order the more likely you are to get good plants.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 12:00:44 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 07:52:14 pm »
Got my delivery from them Ok a couple of weeks ago.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 07:06:48 am »
Have a look at the Seed Cooperative. They produce organic seed

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 08:16:57 am »
I doubt rey're going bust but I wouldnt lsoe sleep over thier departure. I stopped using them more than 25yrs ago... glossy cataloques, huge range, expensive and in my experience very poor germination rates.
Since I don't bother about organcs I buy my seed either ebay (premier seeds) or lidl or ocassionally wilco.
I have oen complainta bout premier seeds. I bought two packets of sweetcorn seeds claiming to have 55 seeds per pack. So I made up 55 3" pots each time and bless me I had the stress of 4 seeds extra!! What to do? The stress and worry! The damage this can do to someone with OCD. I want compensation....... ;D

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 10:15:29 am »
That made me laugh pgkevet, I buy most of my seeds via Premier Seeds on eBay too and have noticed the same thing. Just Seed are also excellent, same 'complaint' there...  :excited: Sadly eBay sellers don't do the courgette I like (didn't grow it last year and had a zero crop from all the other varieties!) or I wouldn't have been tempted back by Thompson and Morgan's plant offers in the first place. That'll teach me to over indulge my plant mania when I only really needed a single pack of seeds...  ::)

Part time dabbler

• Joined Aug 2016
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2019, 12:40:55 pm »
I bought some soft fruit and strawberry's from T&M after it was picked up by the Moneysavingexpert website. Yes they did delay the delivery but they arrived and all is as advertised and I have to say the strawberry's are romping away.

I suspect they had a lot more orders then expected and are coping with obtaining supplies themselves.

I agree with the amount of emails but it is all fine really
Physically part time in the garden, mentally full time in the garden

FaeFife

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 08:16:30 am »
Hi, thanks to all for the response. Some satisfied and some dissatisfied like myself. I’ve sent them private messages as they requested on their Facebook page, giving my order number so they can check on the delay. Three days later and no response or acknowledgement, I’ve now asked for a refund. However I’m now six weeks behind with my “early strawberries” in my poly tunnel ????
Oh well, I’ll have to look elsewhere but it’s such a lovely morning, frosty and sunny, I’m heading outside and I’ll order some tonight!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 10:30:30 am »
Morrisons have a good range too  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2019, 11:58:42 pm »
I used to order a lot from the Organic Gardening Catalogue and always had good service but these days I tend to keep packets for several years and have mostly good germination rates so only need to buy a few this year so not worth paying postage. I tend to get whatever my local gardening shop sells and sow them in organic compost.

Just seen that Bakker online seed company have gone bust and there are rumours that T&M were in talks re buying them out so it looks unlikely that T&M are going bust.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 12:03:22 am by Mad Goatwoman of Madeley »

martcol

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 03:52:55 pm »
Same here. Small seed order two weeks after supposed delivery. strawberry plants also 2 weeks late. I emailed them to complain and said I had about £100 of seeds to order which would go elsewhere if I wasn't happy with their response. Well, I didn't even get a response, so my order was split between a few others, including suttons and the Real seed Company.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2019, 07:38:42 pm »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS