Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: walnuts  (Read 1574 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
walnuts
« on: April 11, 2019, 10:55:16 am »
someone..sorry can't remember who or where.. was muttering about failed to get their walnut trees bought/in this year. They take ages to kick off and really start to grow anyway so may be worth thinking 'grow from seed'
Last time i tried that with supermarket walnuts they all failed..possibly treated before import?? If fresh nuts from a tree aren't available then i happened to notice a local Polish shop with a basket of loose walnuts. If there's one near you might be wrth asking about their source: lots of local folk with their own walnut trees E Europe and unlikely to be processed so might be a better source of seed...??

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: walnuts
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 10:38:08 pm »
I mentioned in anither thread that i wantes to plant walnut trees but didnt get a chance this winter. I also happen to be Polish. I remember there were massive walnut trees next to our garage back in Poland. We used to get bagfulls every autumn.
I'm planning to buy two trees of varieties supposedly best suited for the British climate (I.e. tollerant of wet weather) instead of growing them from from seed.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 10:59:23 pm »
One of my sadnesses is that i had 2 huge walnut trees when i lived in surrey and never thought to bring some seed.. ended up buying two to add to the one here. They've been growing here for 6yrs and hardly made much. the original tree planted by predecessor is still not very big either. I doubt I'll live to see any nuts - not that i got many in surrey.. the squirrels took them all apart from one autumn storm when I got to them first or the few that squirrels threw down at the dogs.

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 05:44:43 am »
We planted 50 walnut trees over a decade ago. They were grafted high end expensive trees from well established nursery

Some are doing well, some haven't grown much since they were planted. But all still alive.

We estimate about a ton of walnuts a year if we collected them all, but the tall trees are just to hard to get to.

Have to work out a way to harvest these nuts?

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 08:24:58 am »
'Beat your wife and your walnut tree'
Depending on arrangement then possible squirrel collars and wait for them to drop?
Hop stilts?
A couple of times in Surrey the squirrels would throw tham at the barking mutt we had so eprhaps breed a Nova Scotia Walnut Tolling retreiver?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS