Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New poultry stock  (Read 4235 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
New poultry stock
« on: March 21, 2019, 05:37:41 pm »
I have done geese quail ducks etc thinking of starting something new .Want to start vegan chickens but can't find a supplier .Anyone can help?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: New poultry stock
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 05:40:31 pm »
Carve your own from boxwood?  Or just sell stuffing?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 05:57:45 pm »
??????? That's not very helpfull!

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 06:19:23 pm »
If you mean the chickens will be vegan, then I have to ask why? They're not even vegetarian...

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 07:54:54 pm »
DOOO no i want to raise vegan chickens .I went to Tesco and they sold vegan chicken nuggets i liked them so thought I would raise my own and eat them! But I can't find a supplier / breeder.  :-\
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 08:08:22 pm by harry »

abc123

• Joined Oct 2018
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 08:20:33 pm »
When you say vegan, i presume you mean they will be raised on a veg diet and no pellets etc. In the nicest posible way, I dont think you should pursue this idea because its not natural for the birds. They will have to be cooped up 24/7 and this is completely against the welfare standards set out, unless they have a very large pen.

My other idea of vegan chicken nuggets is the ones you can buy and probably did buy. They are made from chickpeas and artichoke hearts and coated in bread crumbs, and sold as vegan chicken nuggets.

By all means you can grow chickpeas and artichokes and make your own, but if the first idea is what you are pursuing I strongly advise against it.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 08:27:24 pm »
  I am unclear what a vegan chicken looks like .Never seen a picture of one. Can anyone describe one .Are they a heavy breed.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 08:32:57 pm by harry »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 10:49:30 pm »
??? ??? ? That's not very helpfull!

Well I assumed you were being funny.  A vegan diet involves eating no meat, or any animal products, not even using animal manure to grow your veggies.  So a vegan chicken does not exist. If you mean you want to raise your chickens on a vegan diet then that is a whole different ballgame.  'Vegan chicken' as sold in a supermarket is just not chicken, it's chicken substitute made of veg, grown in a vegan society approved way.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 08:22:40 am »
No no no that can't be correct .I read a menu in a restaurant window. They were doing vegan pulled pork! Next you will be telling me there is no such thing as a vegan pig. If I can't find these chickens i may get a vegan pig. :roflanim:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 07:46:52 pm »
Nice one, Harry  :eyelashes: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 08:20:50 pm »
I will call that two and a half bites! I just don't get it . Why do vegans name their food after everything they don't like .Chicken nuggets, pulled pork, vegan beef etc. Not sure if veggies do that? Good job i didn't mention raising haggis, that's a whole new minefield! :wave:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 08:22:58 pm by harry »

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 10:05:50 pm »
No you're ok, I think haggis are vegan anyway.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2019, 09:13:12 am »
Stop it now, or I will apply to get you banned.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2019, 12:19:28 pm »
Eeeeh...
What's vegan chickens???? Never heard of such thing...
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2019, 12:22:26 pm »
DOOO no i want to raise vegan chickens .I went to Tesco and they sold vegan chicken nuggets i liked them so thought I would raise my own and eat them! But I can't find a supplier / breeder.  :-\
Oh my days! You meant SOYA type of vegan "chicken style" nuggets, I.e. something made of SOYA with artificial flavourings made in a shape of a chicken nugget.
Nothing to do with actual bird called chicken.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS