Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best tasting lamb - choosing which type of sheep  (Read 6310 times)

TegantheTeg

• Joined Mar 2019
Best tasting lamb - choosing which type of sheep
« on: March 20, 2019, 03:40:24 pm »
Hi all, new to the forum and would be grateful for people's thoughts/ideas.

I have a 22 acre smallholding in South East Wales and I'm looking to start a small pedigree flock this year to cross graze with my horses and to produce lambs for home consumption/friends and perhaps local farmers markets and farm shops.  I've been looking at various breeds that would be suitable - criteria includes easily bucket trained, easy lambing, good feet (we are quite wet here) - and haven't decided yet but I did wonder if there are some breeds that produce superior tasting lamb - as in strong, perhaps even gamey tasting?

Breeds I've been considering - Wiltshire Horn (for the lack of shearing), Oxford Down, Ryeland, Grey Faced Dartmoor (OH has a family history in the GFDs) and Jacobs.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Best tasting lamb - choosing which type of sheep
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 08:41:55 am »
Everyone loves their own breed. We have Coloured Ryelands and the emat is fantastic.We sell locally in lamb boxes, then out the freezer. Folk love it. We had one woman come for the firts time last October and bought two double loin chops for her hubby; came back next day and bought ALL the double long chops. He's having to make do with single loin and chump chops at the moment  ;D

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 09:04:25 am »
Best tasting lamb will be grass reared and not intensively fed. You might be better doing hogget (12 months old) or even mutton if you want a stronger flavour, but a lot of the breeds on your list can run to fat easily so do watch that. There’s nothing worse than over fat lamb.

We have Lleyns, and cross some to the Poll Dorset and the rest are kept purebred. Super tasting meat and finish quickly too.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 09:26:28 am »
You will never get a definitive answer to a question like this. Everyone has their favourites. You could love a particular breed and then find it doesn't do in your location.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 09:47:21 am »
Choose a sheep you like the look of.  I went on looks to cross graze with my horses and got a large, easy to handle breed.  It is however a breed not noted for the best of feet.  Everyone who has bought lamb from us have come back for more declaring it better than mass produced.  However nearly every breed claims to have the best tasting lamb.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 11:18:05 am »
No such thing as best tasting lamb - mutton wins every time! At least hogget (18 months), but never lamb! Shetlands ideal for that, not much hard feed needed and don#t run to fat if left to grow on until second summer.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 11:19:41 am »
Shetland or similar.  Buy from the right breeder so they’re tame ones.  Great feet, no lambing issues, amazing hogget - full of flavour, succulent but not fat, fantastic fleeces for spinning and skins to sell in addition to meat.  (Processing costs around £30-£35 per skin, but a nice coloured sheepskin will sell for £50-75.  Good fleeces will fetch £8-20 depending on colour and quality.)

Shouldn’t be too difficult to find rams locally so you don’t have to keep one if you don’t want to.  (Could be a bigger issue with a rarer breed.).

Slaughter and butchery costs are at least partly per animal, though, so the smaller bodies of this type of sheep mean the cost per kilo is slightly greater.  And of course you’d keep most or all through two summers, meaning you have lambs staying through the winter.  If the ground is wet, you might prefer a larger breed where most of the lambs are away before winter. Less fleeces, but you can still do the skins, and you have less work and costs over winter.

Of the breeds your list, I’ve not specifically tasted any, so can’t comment except to say (a) I agree that most non-commercial grass reared sheep meat tastes fabulous, but the Northern Short-tailed type (of which Shetland is one) have a depth of flavour all their own, ime, and (b) think about flies; if your land is both wet and sheltered, so not breezy and airy, you may well do better with something less woolly, like your suggested Wiltshire Horns.

If the idea of selling / using fleeces and skins appeals, then Wiltshire Horn would not be the best choice!  Lol.

Re-reading your post, the Shetland and Manx I’ve eaten has the depth of flavour heading towards the gamey end, but without being actually gamey.  Castlemilk Moorit has meat in a class of its own, incredibly lean, definitely unlike other lamb.  Some say it’s almost like venison, but it’s nicer than some venison ;)    I’ve found that most people who like lamb do like Castlemilk Moorit, and most people who *don’t* like lamb, also like Castlemilk Moorit. :)

You’d need to source carefully, though, to be sure you got tame sheep that would be successful breeders of tame sheep ;). Gorgeous to see a flock of these elegant sheep <3
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 11:32:17 am »
Choose a sheep you like the look of.  I went on looks to cross graze with my horses and got a large, easy to handle breed.  It is however a breed not noted for the best of feet.  Everyone who has bought lamb from us have come back for more declaring it better than mass produced.  However nearly every breed claims to have the best tasting lamb.

I agree wholeheartedly with this! Any grass fed lamb (ie not early lambs kept inside.) taste good. But apparently the best of all is Herdwick lamb, because it takes that bit longer to mature. I don't keep Herdwick sheep now, but did at one time, amongst Ryelands, Dorsets, Shetlands, Manx Loughtans and others. The one meat that stood out from the rest was a Herdwick that was slaughtered fat at 9 months old. So yes it was basically just hogget. But everyone, without prompting commented on the amazing flavour!
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 12:07:48 pm »

Oh come on everyone - no-one has said the magic word: HEBRIDEAN  ;D

Stunning to look at, very friendly if you buy the right stock, bucket trainable, even biscuit trainable, easy lambing, excellent mothers, black tough feet, well able to cope with wet, double fleece designed to keep off the rain, produce close-grained hogget meat at 16 months (in August, best time to send them off).  Some folk say the meat is gamey but that word to me means a bit 'off', so I prefer to say halfway between lamb and beef, firm and delicious.

Of course everyone has their favourite, and that depends on individual taste and cooking ability.  My suggestion is to try various breeds before plumping for one.  There is lots of boxed meat available online, or you could find a rare breeds butcher.
Breeds we have raised and eaten include Shetland, Jacob, Texel and Heb and their various crosses.  Every breed produced delicious meat, all slightly different.  One thing you could do would be within your pedigree flock, to put a few ewes to a tup from a different breed, borrowed, then compare the crossbred meat.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 12:09:31 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Twotwo

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 01:54:20 pm »
Dorset Down.... good ones don’t run to fat and taste wonderful... nice and easy to handle and keep - plus there are several breeders in wales.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 03:17:18 pm »
People's Front of Judea!!

Sorry. Shetland. I meant Shetland.

There are definitely differences in taste between different breeds, but a lot of that seems to be down to the age they're slaughtered. However, that decision alone will change your strategy, e.g. can you get the lambs away in the same year they're born, or will you be overwintering them?  Also Shetlands, Hebrideans etc are much smaller sheep, so whilst your slaughter & butchery costs will stay the same, the amount of meat per animal will be less. These are all things to consider when making your decision.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 03:28:40 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 04:18:14 pm »
Black Welsh Mountain :)

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 06:18:34 pm »
The best tasting lamb is the one in my oven...

Have a look at local adverts, markets etc. On the one hand you want to be able to trade breeding stock without driving to the other side of the country. On the other hand, you want something different enough to be noticeable, to stand out from all the other sheep.

Strongly agree on grass fed being the way to go, and if I may plug the Pasture for Life Association... I'm a member (but don't get commission!) and they have lots of advice and help available. Their "Where to buy" section is currently lacking in lamb and in Welsh suppliers, incidentally...

How do you feel about horned sheep? They are more prone to getting stuck in fences (and don't use electric netting with them), the larger / straighter horns make handling them a bit interesting. But they do look spectacular, and you may be able to sell the horns to stick makers?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 10:58:25 pm »
whilst your slaughter & butchery costs will stay the same, the amount of meat per animal will be less.

You’ll definitely pay more per kg of meat with a smaller animal, but our butcher down here charges per animal for some things - slaughter of course and maybe the first cuts - and per kilo for some of the processing.  So the bill will be less for a small animal, but still work out at more per kilo than the larger.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2019, 07:11:43 am »
Australian White ---only breed i know of that have done work and selection based on intra-muscular fat levels/tear force/taste tests/analysis

genetics may account for 50% of lamb quality but the rest will be management (feed/age/treatment) where and how rthey are killed, hanging time & butcher skills

Then you can sell it to someone who will dry roast it at 320c for 3 hrs and wonder why it's tough  :(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS