Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lambing shetlands (my first time!)  (Read 1569 times)

ChalkyBee

• Joined Nov 2017
Lambing shetlands (my first time!)
« on: March 14, 2019, 09:54:05 pm »
Hi, I have got my first small flock of shetlands - 4 ewes. 2 are pregnant and are expected to lamb the first week of April and this will be my first lambing (I will have assistance if needed though!).

Everyone I have spoken to inc. the vet thinks they’ll lamb easily but i’m Worried that i’m Not prepared enough.

I have iodine & colostrum and heading out for more supplies tomorrow. What would you reccomend? Any advice gratefully received!

Ermingtrude

• Joined Mar 2017
Re: Lambing shetlands (my first time!)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 10:33:21 pm »
Having had my first lot 2 years ago, then second lot now ( 6 lambed, one to go ) I went to a lambing course run by the local vets. They gave great advice, and advised to stock up on powdered colostrum, gloves, twin lamb drench, ear tags, bands for tails/man parts ( depending on what you are wanting to do ) stomach tube if I was confident to use one, and they also talked about antibiotics and calcium injections. I worked on the basis that if calcium or antibiotics were needed, it was out of my depth already, and the vet would be involved, so didn't get those. I made sure I had towels, bedding and hay, food for the ewes, enough feeding troughs/bowls and hay holders, and the vets number on speed dial !

Good luck - you will be fine :)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 10:35:40 pm »
Lube, lambing ropes, lamb kick start for weak lambs, a heat lamp, arm length gloves, twin lamb drench- ketosaid is great stuff not just for twin lamb but if a ewe needs a boost after lambing. A prolapse spoon or harness- you probably won’t ever need it but when you need one in the middle of the night it definitely can’t wait till the shops are open! Stomach tube and syringe and a bottle/teat- the Ritchey bottles with yellow screw tops are great for small lambs. Plenty of patience too!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 11:17:05 pm »
I have never yet needed to help a pure Shetland ewe produce or feed pure Shetland lambs, except an older ewe who had one teat overlarge the lamb couldn’t get his mouth around.  The lambs are born small and very active, they and the ewes seem to know exactly what to do and need no assistance from us.

My number one piece of lambing equipment is binoculars, so I can keep an eye on things from afar and not worry the ewe. 

You’ll be very unlucky to get any problems. Enjoy it!  All lambings are wonderful, but nothing will ever quite beat your first one :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 06:14:00 am »
Colostrum is definitely on the essential list- if you have a ewe lamb when the shops are shut and the lamb needs a colostrum substitute, it needs it within the first 6 hours of life, so by the time the shops open it will be too late.

I’ve never fed a ewe porridge after lambing,  but they are always partial to their normal ewe nuts or coarse mix after they’ve licked the lambs dry.

I think everything I listed I’ve just multiple times this year, on a supposedly easy lambing breed that caused all manner of problems for me!  :yuck:  Don’t panic when they start lambing- it is surprising how much stress a lamb will with hold whilst the ewe is lambing if things aren’t going to plan. We had a couple of lambings this year where things went wrong and still had live lambs

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 12:19:32 pm »
First off, Shetlands do not get their tails banded.  They are a Northern Shorttailed breed and cannot be registered if the tails have been ringed.  For testicles, with this breed you are unlikely to be able to get a ring on for the first few days as they are small in that department.

As Sally says, Shetlands very rarely need assistance, and are best left to get on with it in peace, with you keeping an eye on them from a discreet distance.   Don't fuss them and they will know what to do especially if they have lambed before.

My best advice is to know beforehand what a normal, unassisted birth looks like so you have an idea of timings, how much effort the ewe will exert, how to clear the lamb's airway with your fingers if it doesn't lift its head promptly.

For the births themselves, you need 10% iodine in a mint sauce type jar, old towels, baby wipes, disposable gloves and self confidence.  Lambing ropes, spoons and so on are not something you are likely ever to need, and you can get an emergency vet out at any time of day or night if it goes wrong.  We also have a long acting Penicillin available, but again if you don't know when to use it you would have a vet there anyway.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

ChalkyBee

• Joined Nov 2017
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 07:43:20 pm »
Thank you, some great advice! Feeling a bit more confidant, and know that two neighbours & the farmer across the road are available to help if needed has def put my mind at rest. Bought some of the things, just in case as would rather have it available if needed than not, and already have iodine ????????

As far as i’m aware they are up to date with their vaccinations as they were done with their previous flock just before we got them last week.

They have ewe pencils available, hay and grass, and we’ve popped up a temporary shelter. Thankfully we’re based south so the weather isn’t so bad.

They are all pure shetlands and both lambed before so really hoping it’ll all happen without any issues but def feeling more prepared now. Thanks all! This forum is ace!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS