Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: which colostrum for lambs?  (Read 1600 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
which colostrum for lambs?
« on: March 12, 2019, 01:17:49 pm »
We usually keep a dose or two of lamb colostrum available at lambing time for emergencies. We used to get it in our local WCF but that has turned into a gym!!  The other agric merchant in town was out of colostrum, so I was looking online.  My goodness, colostrum is expensive!  We haven't needed any for many years, but we do like to have it available.
So where do you buy small quantities of colostrum, just a prefilled bottle or single sachet would do?  Is there a supplier which doesn't charge the earth, but still supplies good quality?
I'm thinking maybe we should collect some from the first ewe to lamb, and freeze it.  But what if we have a problem with that first one? Please don't suggest getting some from 'a friendly farmer' - no-one has time to be friendly at lambing time.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: which colostrum for lambs?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 01:24:01 pm »
I usually buy Volostrum you get about 10 feeds for under £20, the use by is pretty long too so I reseal and store from year to year. You never know when you'll need it

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 02:27:21 pm »
I was lucky to pick up some sachets of Volostrum going cheap at our local Agri merchant chain when they closed down last year.  It seems fine.

I found some single sachets online here, if you can’t get a few local smallholding pals to share a box of 10.

Would your vet supply single sachets?

Otherwise this Fearing product looks fine linky, as does the Nettex product here
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 11:28:24 am »
Looking at the price of a single sachet, you'd be better of getting a box of 10 for @ £20 with a long sell by date. And don't forget, it doesn't instantly become useless on that date! Chances are, if you only have one sachet, you'll need 2. At least if you have plenty you're not going to try and eke out what you have, but can ensure you have plenty for if it's needed.

I have in the past got colostrum from a goat farmer as they usually seem to have a surplus and don't have the same pressures on them as a sheep farmer at lambing time. I used to put it into small 250ml used drink containers, then all I had to do was defrost in warm water and put the teat on.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 11:33:01 am by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 12:41:24 pm »
Thank you all - helpful suggestions there.  For the single sachets the postage costs are ridiculous, so I ditched that idea.  I've decided to wait until the local agric place gets boxes of ten in again (what a ridiculous time to run out!) then go for that, for the reasons you give LRR.  I'm sure someone else will need some to share.  We have a couple of weeks to go still before we might start lambing.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 10:41:58 pm »
At a recent lambing course the vets said ideally ewe colostrum, followed by cow or goat and powdered colostrum as a last resort. I take your point about farmers being fraught at lambing time but do you have a dairy farm you could ask?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 12:39:50 am »
At a recent lambing course the vets said ideally ewe colostrum, followed by cow or goat and powdered colostrum as a last resort. I take your point about farmers being fraught at lambing time but do you have a dairy farm you could ask?

Our nice neighbours had a dairy farm, one of the highest in Scotland, but had to sell off his herd because of poor milk prices.  But they lamb too.
This is only an emergency standby in case of a weak lamb, but that hasn't happened with our Hebs in years, so this is really an insurance policy.  We don't have 'pet' lambs - if anything goes wrong we would revive the lamb then foster it onto another ewe, so it's not the start of a bottle feeding programme.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS