Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Teat problem  (Read 1797 times)

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Teat problem
« on: March 09, 2019, 09:33:27 pm »
One of my angora goats produced twins today. She had a pair two years ago and had no trouble feeding both. I noticed as she was about to deliver one teat looked large and swollen (it didnt yesterday). Sure enough, it was blocked and took several minutes with a hot damp cloth to remove the waxy plug. However, my concern is there is no appparant teat canal- it seems the exit is slightly to the side.  Having unblocked the exit, we left her with the twins for several hours, but then had to unblock it again. Milk seems fine. We have just stripped off a 120ml because 9 hours after birth the twins seem to be using the other side only.  Hoping reducing the size to closer to the normal teat may encourage them on overnight.  Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 09:35:48 pm by pharnorth »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Teat problem
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 10:37:22 pm »
I don't really know the answer to this but I suspect that the exit is to one side because the teat is so swollen. Have you tested for mastitis? If the opening to her teat was in the usual place last time she kidded, it won't have moved so the swelling seems the most likely cause.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 06:33:54 am »
Are they both sucking one side?  Can you put the bigger on the full side a few times to help reduce the size, get one used to it and make it easier to suck.  It may just need a few days to settle.
I've got a first timer who kidded twins last Tuesday, the boy bigger and gaining weight a lot faster than the girl.  The doe has one side very full and the first two days I took a pint off each day to soften it, the girl is sucking that side now.
She  may have had an infection in the teat canal after last kidding that narrowed it slightly, assuming the milk comes through ok it should come better, just watch carefully for mastitis.good luck with the rest.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 10:54:13 am »
Cheers sound advice. Kids are now about 20 hours old and both doing well. Doe is fine in her self, as is the milk quality. Again took a little persuasion to get milk out this morning so looks like they stayed on the other side over night. The swollen teat is about 3 times the size of normal and takes more effort so they are not keen to bother even when I have stripped it. I am hoping if we do as you did [member=23446]Dogwalker[/member] stripping off some milk for a day or so the twins will be too impatient to wait for each other and start to give it a go. In the meantime close watch for mastitis

I am not sure [member=23109]Mad Goatwoman of Madeley[/member] if it is the swelling as you say, or an injury caused scar tissue, may be more evident as we get the swelling down.......

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 11:26:12 pm »
You will definitely be able to get more idea once the teat is back to its proper size.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 02:22:50 pm »
Ok now down to a similar size to the good one. No soreness. However is now clear it is old damage, bite or scratch caused scar tissue, in effect the milk has found a new but restricted route. We have milked her off two or three times not least of all as a different goat's kid needed some Colostrum. If we just leave it do you think it will dry off and leave her ok to support the kid with the other teat?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 11:49:02 pm »
I would think so, yes. Do you not want to use the milk though? If you do decide to dry her off you would be better doing it slowly by cutting down each day until you aren't getting much, then down to every other day, then every 3rd day.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 06:39:26 am »
It would be the same as a does suckling just one kid.  It's all supply and demand.Milk out enough to relieve but not so much your stimulating more production and keep a very careful check for mastitis.  She'll probably end up with a very uneven udder but not much can be done about that.
My grumpy doe has a single kid sucking one side, I need to persuade him to try both or milk some off today,  one side was very full yesterday evening.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS