Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Terrier  (Read 3395 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Terrier
« on: March 08, 2019, 11:44:50 am »
We have decided to get another wee dog. The loss of my Jack Russell last August has left a huge hole in my life. We still have Rascal ( border collie ) and Isla ( collie cross ) but they are very much daddies dogs and only put up with me when he is at work. I have seen an add for Fox Terrier cross Jack Russell puppies. What do you think ? Would this be an OK cross ?

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Terrier
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 06:12:15 pm »
I'd imagine it'd look like a standard Jack Russel, but be on the larger side. Saying that, Jack Russell's vary so much I'm not sure what a standard sized one is!  I have three and wouldn't be without them :)

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 06:46:26 pm »
No idea about that cross [member=467]sabrina[/member] but it would obviously have a very terrier character !!!   But you've lived with a very terrier terrier (a Jack) so just go see the pups for goodness sake !  Don't put it off - go see  :D

Oh and - dont forget to post pics !!!! ;)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 07:28:05 pm by arobwk »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 06:56:11 pm »
Sounds wonderful to me!  Wire-haired fox terrier was my maternal grandmother’s choice, and I have a soft spot for them for that reason.  And of course a nice Jack Russel simply can’t be beat.  But I’m an admirer of, not an experienced terrier owner, so take what I say with a pinch of salt ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 10:39:07 pm »
Just make sure you see the pups with their mum. See the dad too if possible, and take your pup to your vet immediately for a checkup. 

With pedigree dogs at least you have the Kennel Club health records online to check, but you very much have to trust the breeder with crossbreeds and mongrels.

And on that you just have to trust your own gut feeling.  If something doesn't look or feel right, walk away.  Don't take the pup just to save it from its surroundings if you suspect it's a puppy farm - all that does is line their pockets.

I hope all goes well and you get a nice dog.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 02:09:14 pm »
Well I did not get my pup. Gordon it turns out does not like the look of the dad ( Fox Terrier ) and at £450 for a puppy he would rather go for a pure bred. The good news is I have been in touch with a Jack Russell breeder who will be having a litter over the summer. She will get in touch with me when the pups are born. I know this lady through the horse shows so she is not a stranger.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 03:29:16 pm »
I think I'm way out of touch with buying dogs - £450 seems a huge amount for a terrier, which is by definition a cross breed or type..

Can't believe people are paying so much for them, you'll love them the same whatever they look like once they become part of the family!

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 05:44:48 pm »
I reckon [member=168790]bj_cardiff[/member]  that you are out of touch - cross-breeds are no longer accidental "mongrels" one might pick up for a few quid: they are too often intentional to gain some easy pocket-money and have new names with a price tag to go with.  My 2yr old is a jackapoopoochorky !  :roflanim:  (I'll let you work it out on your own  :)  - yeah, he's a mongrel - I just happen to know his lineage as he came from a friend and a very modest sum was exchanged to cover vet costs etc.

He looks like Hairy Maclary and I'd probably be making considerable £s from the off-spring of a well-chosen mating, but I decided to have him neutered despite.  (We are repeatedly stopped so that kiddies can say hello to "H Maclary" in the flesh !!) 

My other little monkey is a Papillon and I cannot sign-off on this post without saying how pleased I was to see the Pap win at this year's Crufts.  But not just because he was a Pap: he really did ooze Pap character (perky and so interested in everything going on) even after long-day show conditions - a very well deserved win!  They are brilliant little dogs and very clever !!  They are also tougher than they look! 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 10:59:25 pm by arobwk »

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 06:09:36 pm »
Well I did not get my pup.

Well, good luck for next time! 

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 09:57:20 pm »
I think I'm way out of touch with buying dogs - £450 seems a huge amount for a terrier, which is by definition a cross breed or type..

Can't believe people are paying so much for them, you'll love them the same whatever they look like once they become part of the family!
Yes, for a long time. The world has gone mad!  I've been away from Aberdeen for 10 years and a woman up there was selling labradoodles then for £1400. Stupid money for a cross breed with no health checks
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS