Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Alopecia  (Read 1312 times)

farmerjim

• Joined Dec 2011
Alopecia
« on: March 06, 2019, 11:59:53 am »
I have a Ryelande with a patch of what looks like alopecia on her back.They get suggested antibiotics but no effect.No others are affected and she doesn't scratch and is otherwise in perfect health.Any ideas ?

graemeatwellbank

• Joined Jun 2016
  • Blairgowrie
Re: Alopecia
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 03:10:12 pm »
I hade the same with a ryeland ewe end of last year. Completely bald patch about the size of my hand with fingers.
Called the vet who took some scappings and swabs and  I also handed over some cast-off wool with what appeared to be skin attached but after analysis they could find nothing wrong.
Wool has grown back.
Based on my (costly) experience, I'd say ignore it unless it gets worse.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 04:54:26 pm »
I did have something similar a couple of years+ ago; eventually found reference to mycotic dermatitis in the veterinary book for sheep farmers which roughly fitted the bill. I shampoo'd her with hibiscrub and it did clear up - but as she was heavily pregnant and it didn't seem to be causing her discomfort i waited 'til she'd given birth before treating, so it's possible it would have cleared up by itself post pregnancy.

farmerjim

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 05:11:46 pm »
Many thanks,i think I will take your a advice and see how she gets on.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 12:37:04 pm »
Would guess at wool rot/ rain rot ,when   an area of matted wool on the back lifts of in one lump with dry skin attatched

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 03:30:39 pm »
HI
are they pregnant?

i found a few of mine had it last year when close to lambing and have one doing it now
rest of year they are fine

could be that little extra stress
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 04:08:05 pm »
Are they in lamb or have they recently lambed? I had some mules that lost their fleeces post lambing, the ewes were older ewes, very milky and lost quite a bit of condition on the first 30 days. I put it down to stress.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS