Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: off grid fridge - 12v or LPG?  (Read 1916 times)

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
off grid fridge - 12v or LPG?
« on: March 05, 2019, 09:36:30 pm »
We want to put a little fridge in a showman's wagon that does not have a 240v supply.  I am reading about "3-way" fridges, which can take a gas supply and also 12v dedicated ones.  At present we only have one solar panel down there which is fine for lighting but may not be enough for a fridge as well?  Gas seems a good idea - sounds cheap to run but people talk about ventilation vents which may not be easy in an old wagon.  We could install another solar panel....

Has any none else been in this position or have experience of wither of these options?

Many thanks

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: off grid fridge - 12v or LPG?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 09:58:48 pm »
I’ve a wee caravan with a 3-way fridge.  Everyone tells me the only time you use 12v is when you’re moving and it’s hooked up to the car battery - and they’re designed to shut off when the car engine stops.

The gas works fine but it does have to be utterly level for the fridge to work on gas. 

And yes there is a vent for the fridge. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 10:02:43 pm »
I’ve a wee caravan with a 3-way fridge.  Everyone tells me the only time you use 12v is when you’re moving and it’s hooked up to the car battery - and they’re designed to shut off when the car engine stops.

The gas works fine but it does have to be utterly level for the fridge to work on gas. 

And yes there is a vent for the fridge.

Thanks for that.  Having an idea about siting a gas fridge in a small existing shed near the wagon - don't want to be cutting ventilation holes in that if it can be avoided.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 11:15:47 pm »
If you've already got a 3 way fridge then it's definitely best run on gas - as Sally says the 12v option is only for when the engine is running.
Trouble is that 3 way fridges are not very efficient and even on gas may have a significant running cost if used continuously.
A 12v  electric fridge is usually a lot more efficient but are a lot more ££ to buy; a compressor type(i.e. like regular mains fridge) would probably require about 50w of extra solar into the battery to keep it going, based on my experience of the one I had when i lived on a boat in brighton.
Some 12v fridges are solid-state (peltier) and I'd steer clear of the really cheap ones but I think the better quality ones are OK, but lack personal experience so can't really advise.

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 07:43:20 pm »
If you've already got a 3 way fridge then it's definitely best run on gas - as Sally says the 12v option is only for when the engine is running.
Trouble is that 3 way fridges are not very efficient and even on gas may have a significant running cost if used continuously.
A 12v  electric fridge is usually a lot more efficient but are a lot more ££ to buy; a compressor type(i.e. like regular mains fridge) would probably require about 50w of extra solar into the battery to keep it going, based on my experience of the one I had when i lived on a boat in brighton.
Some 12v fridges are solid-state (peltier) and I'd steer clear of the really cheap ones but I think the better quality ones are OK, but lack personal experience so can't really advise.

Thanks for all this info.  We don't have any fridge at the moment and I guess we are trying to decide between 3-way run on gas or 12v compressor model (adding extra solar if needed)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS