Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Geese shenanigans  (Read 1185 times)

Clum

• Joined Mar 2019
Geese shenanigans
« on: March 05, 2019, 05:10:20 pm »
I have had 2 ganders and a goose for almost a year with no issues. Finally got another goose but she’s quite young and is being bullied by the two ganders, though she’s not as scared as she was she still gives them a wide berth. Both boys are also trying to mate with the original goose. There is a lot of noise day and night and I have now caught the two ganders fighting, one had the other on his back just now. What are the thoughts on separating them into two pairs? I will need to do some major fencing if this is necessary as they can all fly..! Or is it likely to subside? Any thoughts welcome.

abc123

• Joined Oct 2018
Re: Geese shenanigans
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 04:12:55 pm »
Hello, sorry you havent had a reply yet.
Yes I would keep them apart, at least until the breeding season is over. How vicious is the fighting? If its just postering and noise they should be fine, but I would seperate them anyway to save annoying my neighbours  :innocent: :raining: ;)
Especially if its going on at night.

Or could you sell one of the ganders?

Hth

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 05:02:31 pm »
I was thinking more could you eat one of the ganders, the roughest one?  The breeding season goes on for a bit, so the fighting isn't going to settle straight away.  It's pretty unfair on your new young goose too, she would be much happier in a one gander, two goose combo.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 07:38:37 pm »
Hi,
Sorry, I don't know how I missed your original post.
I would separate them into 2 pairs asap, everyone will be happier. If possible I would leave the dominant male with the original goose.
Have you clipped their wings? If you havent clipped before, clip the flight feathers off one wing on each bird,

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS