Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Prepping fat lambs/hoggs for market  (Read 1236 times)

Paul and Caroline

• Joined Apr 2014
Prepping fat lambs/hoggs for market
« on: March 04, 2019, 04:41:43 pm »
Hi

I have a handful of last years Ewe lambs which I had intended to keep for breeding however a change of circumstances requires that I sell them at market. This will be the first time I have sold any livestock and my question is what prep should I do (if any) to 'tidy them up'? They are Texel crosses (mostly) and probably between 40-50 kg. They have been kept exclusively outside and as a consequence they have that mud stained 'skirt' round the ends of the fleece. Would it be expected that they be trimmed back to clean fleece? If I did that i would have to take the fleece quite a way back. I Want to sell before they lose condition as the grass has not fared well this winter and I am on the point of having to resort to cake and hay if I keep them.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Prepping fat lambs/hoggs for market
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 05:23:36 pm »
Sheep being sold as breeders in a breeding sale are usually tidied up, yes. 

But if they’re just in the store or fat ring, they just need to be clean.  In overnight on plenty of clean straw, no feed (they can eat the straw), or just some nice hay, and they’ll be fine.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Prepping fat lambs/hoggs for market
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 05:45:32 pm »
If selling in the prime ring then speak to the auctioneer , at this time of year hoggs are  clipped over all the belly ,up the back of both rear legs and the tail this is so that they are clean for cutting once dead , most markets provide this service @ circa £1 per hogg .   Store and breeding just need to be tidy eg no  crappy tail

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS