Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goose enclosure enrichment  (Read 1843 times)

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Goose enclosure enrichment
« on: February 16, 2019, 10:07:50 am »
Hi all

I no longer keep geese but I seem to remember that off grass, during the flu lock down, it was hard to find stuff they would eat-and I can't remember if they'd eat the flaked peas that I supplement the diet of my ducks and chickens with in the winter (they would eat fresh peas though, apples and spring greens).

Anyway, looking to enrich an enclosure of rescue ganders-they have an acre of grazing and a pond but its only grass and some of it is a little bare atm. Obviously they have pellets etc.

Is there anything shrub/tree wise that they might like to nibble on? Obviously this time of year is what it is, but wondered if willow/apple might be an idea? Any other suggestions? The pond has a concrete base-I've read about putting grit etc in the bottom but wondered if that was mainly for ducks?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Goose enclosure enrichment
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 01:08:51 pm »
Mine just love their bath, but as you have a pond maybe they don't need another one.  They jump into buckets, sheep drinkers, washing up bowls, their dog bath, anything wet with nice fresh water in.
Ours don't actually eat much shrubby stuff but they do like to spend part of the day hidden away in bushy bits.  They also like somewhere they can sunbathe.
But most of all as you know they love to graze.  Maybe you could close off some areas to allow the grass to grow a bit when the warmer weather starts, so they could have a rotation of longer grass, say 2-3", or you could sprout large trays of grain for them.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 01:10:24 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 03:08:43 pm »
Geese love chewing things so some small tree branches would keep them happily occupied for quite some time.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 12:16:20 pm »
thanks both-will think about some planting and get some branches 'n the meantime.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 08:20:55 am »
They do LOVE goose berries.
They' d probably like some geese  :love:     :coat:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 06:53:05 pm »
cauliflower is ace, as are iceberg lettuce (big favourite), kale etc … just if you're in a growing mood or if the supermarket has cheap ones going..
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 07:02:37 pm »
They love to dabble for whole wheat in water, I use a wide bucket, but maybe throwing a handful into pond? Also stops rodents getting it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS