Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breadfruit and plantain  (Read 5020 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Breadfruit and plantain
« on: February 15, 2019, 06:31:53 am »
When I lived in Sth London the Brixton market wasn't too ar away. Out here in mid-Wales I sometimes miss access to 'ethnic' stuff but I had to go into Birmingham yesterday and walked to the open market. I was very impressed with the quality of fruit and veg - worth the trip just for that. Any how I did buy hal a breadfruit and some green plantain.
Plantain: I like it simply peeled, sliced into long bacon-like strips and fried. If you prefer a sweeter taste then wait until the plantain starts to yellow before cooking but my preference is green.

Breadfruit: This has a pithy middle so cutting is a bit like preparing melon... slices and the pithy bit removed and peeled. Options then are again simple slice thin and fry or chunk and sautee. Traditionally breadruit was baked in a fire pit (like spuds on fireworks night) and can be done simpler by wrapping chuncks in foil. It's just a carbohydrate with an intersting accent to it's lavour, You can treat chunks like a potato. Baked left-overs can by sauteed or brekkie.
It's also worth chatting to stall-holders for recipe ideas when you find something you don't know how to handle.

For a nice brekkie a couple of slices of fried plantain, a strip of bacon, a couple of johnny cakes (fried dough balls) and a chunk of water-melon.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 06:35:44 am by pgkevet »

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Re: Breadfruit and plantain
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 12:32:31 pm »
I too miss access to ethnic foods being out in the sticks. Myum always brings some plantain, mangos  and big avocados when she visits. I've not had bread fruit before but we grew up on plantain, great with a fry up. I've not heard of anyone eating it green though, in my family we wait until it is mostly black then cut into strips and fry.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Breadfruit and plantain
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 06:47:22 am »
Once plantain 'ripens' it starts getting sweet and banana-like. Green it's closer to a potato.

I sauteed some breadfruit the other evening and it wasnt a large portion but as part of my evening meal I remained 'unhungry' until almost mid-day next day. It made me speculate that it might be a good choice for diabetics as slow digestion helps endogenous insulin cope (would take some research).
I love mango - at least easy to buy almost anywhere now. What is harder to find is papaya and almost impossible to get hold of sapadilla (jamaicans call them naseberries)

I decided to try and bring some ripe naseberry home for my daughter one year. They were over-ripening so ast on the plabe trip home I ended up having to eat them. Next trip out i sourced some more, wrapped them individually in newspaper and packed tem ina  cool bag with ice cubes and soem frozen bottles of water. Coming in through UK customs the cubes had melted and I walked through trailing a stream of water.. still no-one stopped me and the naseberries stayed fresh.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS