Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to do with damsons after gin?  (Read 9403 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
What to do with damsons after gin?
« on: December 22, 2018, 04:14:28 pm »
Hi folks,

We made a serious quantity of damson gin this Christmas  :yum:

However, we now have a serious quantity of left over alcoholic damsons which we're not sure what to do with. I'd give them to the sheep if they weren't all pregnant. Do you have any better ideas?  :thumbsup:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: What to do with damsons after gin?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 05:04:55 pm »
Boozy stewed fruit and custard!  Boozy damson pie, incorporate them in a Black Forest gateau type thing...

Use them in a sauce for duck

Come on man, it’s not so hard to think of recipes for gin-soaked hedgerow fruit, surely!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 05:35:46 pm »
I agree with Sally, lots of ways to use them! You can freeze them, but they don't really freeze due to the alcohol, but should keep until you want to use them.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 06:56:29 pm »
You could also reuse them to make damson brandy

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 11:45:14 pm »
put them in layers and cover in sugar on a big closed top jar . you'll end up with a sort of damson sewwt rum syrup .. ( watch it if you are diabetic .
 You could also  do a leayer of damsons d sugar then a layer of banana & sugar  apple , grape and any other fruit that is available  cover the top layer with sugar and flood the whole container with vodka or rum
 It will give you " Rhumtopf " and by this time next year will be amazing .
Usethe fruits on puddings & ice creams , in trifles add a little of the juices and if needs be recover in white rum . Bottle most of liqueur in decent small bottles . It will improve  after four or five years to a sort of mixed fruit brandy liqueur.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 12:38:56 pm »
put them in layers and cover in sugar on a big closed top jar . you'll end up with a sort of damson sewwt rum syrup .. ( watch it if you are diabetic .
 You could also  do a leayer of damsons d sugar then a layer of banana & sugar  apple , grape and any other fruit that is available  cover the top layer with sugar and flood the whole container with vodka or rum
 It will give you " Rhumtopf " and by this time next year will be amazing .
Usethe fruits on puddings & ice creams , in trifles add a little of the juices and if needs be recover in white rum . Bottle most of liqueur in decent small bottles . It will improve  after four or five years to a sort of mixed fruit brandy liqueur.
Then put it in nice jars, tied with tinsel or ribbon at the top, and bring me some for my Christmas present  :eyelashes: :eyelashes: :eyelashes:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 12:37:00 pm »
We used our plums from plum brandy in a crumble with custard but it was quite strong.  I think a little goes a long way!

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 06:48:48 am »
Just eat them with ice-cream

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS