Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shearing for showing  (Read 1107 times)

Twotwo

• Joined Aug 2015
Shearing for showing
« on: February 12, 2019, 10:58:33 am »
As I’m hoping to go to a show at the end of May .... I probably should get the showing team shorn soon but I don’t have much room under cover as lambing in three weeks.
Do you shear and keep in at night - put coats on and put out or just chuck them out in a few days - what do showing folk recommend.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Shearing for showing
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 02:32:22 pm »
Depends on the weather. Ours have purpose made water proof coats with fleece lining and a shelter. I only keep shut them in if it is extreme ( i.e last weeks winds) otherwise they can chose in or out themselves.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Shearing for showing
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 07:14:50 pm »
If you are showing breeds which have a good rise in the fleece, such as Shetlands, and Hebrideans, then you can shear them much later.  It is easiest to use hand shears and to cut through the rise.  This leaves a nice clean surface with a couple of inches of wool still on the animal.  This way the animals don't need to suffer any cold shock.  Usually people are showing only a couple of sheep, so the hand shearing is not too onerous.  Check before you shear that the breed you intend to show is not supposed to be in full fleece.  For example Hebridean ewes (and I think also Shetlands)  at the The Royal Highland Show must be in full fleece.  This is because in the Scottish climate, shearing a ewe with lambs then exposing her to months of icy weather is a welfare issue.  On the other hand, sometimes by the time the show comes around, the poor animals are sweltering in a Spring heatwave.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS