Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which ducks are best?  (Read 8027 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Which ducks are best?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2010, 03:38:56 pm »
oops! trying to 'chat' in too many different threads at the one time me thinks!!!  yup, hubbards are chickens.....egglady slides off into the corner in shame....
::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) Well done Laura

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2010, 06:06:47 pm »
I have found by far the best breed is hybrid white Muscovy. They are massive. One side of a breast fillet is easily enough for for two or three servings. They are quiet and don't quack and live quite happily on maize and what ever they find there selves. I keep them semi free range in an enclosure with a anti fox fencing. They are quite prolific layers too an have kept us and the in-laws in eggs. They have just stopped laying 2 weeks ago and will start again early spring.

LB     

Hi - that sounds interesting.  I used to keep Muscovies many years ago, but found the meat a little too meaty and not as ducky as I would have liked, so changed to Silver Appleyard, and now hopefully Rouen, but as yet have not had sufficient to eat. 

Your hybrid type sounds good.  What exactly goes into the mix, or do you buy in dayolds from somewhere. 

Tell me more - I am all ears (can't find a big eared smiley ;D)

All the best
Sue
Dark Brown Eggs
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2010, 09:22:30 am »
Hi folks,

thanks for all your feedback. I like the sound of the Muscovys. I used to work on a rare breeds farm in my youth and we had a number of them there. Seem to recall they were messy though but I think thats just a duck thing?

B

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2010, 11:05:48 am »
 ;D  All ducks are messy - it goes with being a duck ;D

All the best
Sue
Dark Brown Eggs
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

CarolW

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 08:38:37 pm »
Hi, we have 5 campbell ducks and 1 campbell drake.  They share their a large run with our chickens (it's two runs really but with a dividing gate)and although they stick to themselves they've all been ok since we opened the divider.
They are still laying between 4 -5 eggs a day and you are welcome to a batch if you want.  We live near Selby, North Yorkshire.

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2010, 11:12:15 pm »
a friend says aylesbury/pekins are best for meat, and was also told white campbells lay more than khakis aparently  :)

Elissian

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2010, 11:00:58 pm »
muscovies take 35 days to hatch so make sure she'll sit for that long

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2010, 01:02:41 pm »
I keep Aylesburys for meat and White and Khaki Campbells for eggs. The Campbell drakes are dispatched for meat and though not a great deal on them are tasty. I would say the Whites are the most prolific egg layers.
A friend swears by Cayuga for both meat and eggs. Her drakes are pretty big.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2010, 05:48:00 pm »
Thanks for the offer of eggs CarolW. Have sent you a PM.

I have an a chicken coop and run that my hens are not too fond of that I think the ducks will like Its an apex one that is on ground level with a large pop hole ( like a dog Kenel) I know they wont use the nest boxes and I can remove the perches. What bedding matterials will I need and how high will the run need to be? In fact what will I need in my "duck starter kit"?

My broody probably would sit for the full term with the duck eggs (she sat for 4 weeks without any eggs ???) However she is now busy with some hens eggs that a friend gave her which are due to hatch next thursday so I intend to have a go at hatching the duck eggs in an incubator that I hope to buy at the national poultry show in Nov.

Thanks as ever for the advice,

Buffy

CarolW

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2010, 07:58:45 pm »
Just let me know when you're ready -hopefully they will still be laying - and we can sort something out.  Not sure if I mentioned 3 are White and 2 are Khaki - plus Charlie of course!  We don't have to herd them into their hut anymore on an evening, they go in on their own so we just have to drop the door.
And, most of the time, they lay their eggs in the hut! Which is brill.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS