Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which ducks are best?  (Read 8028 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Which ducks are best?
« on: October 08, 2010, 07:30:07 pm »
Hi folks :wave:

I am thinking of trying to source some duck eggs to put under my broody hen but am not sure what breed to look for. If I choose a meat bird what would you recomend and is there an optimum age to dispatch the bird? If I keep a breed for eggs instead what would be the best type in terms of noise, mess and compatability with hens.

Buffy

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Which ducks are best?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 08:11:23 pm »
For meat ducks pure aylesburies (although hard to find I think) or Muscovies. 

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 08:14:44 pm »
agree wiht hilarysmum, although ducks are messy, messy, messy!  so make sure you are prepared to clean out their house at least twice a week depending on how many you have.  ours are about 6 months old and we are planning to dispatch 2 of the boys this weekend....:(

my friend has muscovies and they are huge if you keep them, but apparently the meat is really tasty.  they are also good mothers.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 08:34:09 pm »
I doubt if many of the meat types are laying at this time of year, so if you are looking for something now it would probably be an egg laying breed.

I keep the giant Rouen breed, but they really only lay in the spring, and not many eggs then even.

All the best
Sue
Dark Brown Eggs
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

LeonardCottage

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Lincolnshire
    • Leonard Cottage
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 11:00:00 pm »
Hi,

I've never tried getting a hen to incubate duck eggs as the temperature and humidity needs to be slightly different.  I would always recommend a Muscovy for sitting on any other duck's eggs.  Let us know how you get on.

Aylesbury or Aylesbury/Pekin make good meat ducks in my opinion and Khaki Campbell's are my favourite layer.

Jason & Fiona
Leonard Cottage
http://www.leonardcottage.co.uk

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 02:00:49 pm »
I have 1 runner duck, and now 2 runner crosses,
they get on with the hens ok, they just dirty anywater they find, and turn the place into  a mud bath

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 02:04:59 pm »
Silver Appleyards Utility strain.

Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 04:19:28 pm »
I have three times had a broody hen hatch ducklings - no problems at all except when the duckling went near water - Mum went ballistic! ::) ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 06:01:40 pm »
I have also hatched duck eggs many times under a broody hen, and put hatched ducklings a broody without problems.  The hens just hang around the edge of the pond as near as they can to the ducklings ready to brood them when they come out.  When the hen thinks they are old enough to perch (which they obviously won't do) I take the broody away

All the best
Sue
Dark Brown Eggs

PS Nice looking ducks CF :)

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 08:58:42 pm »
I have 6 white campbells in with my bantams, they seem to stick to their half if you like and have their pond, its not too messy but the pond can stink if it goes a day or two over its regular clean out.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 09:35:32 am »
Thanks folks,

full of great advice as always ( I really like this site). So If Campbels are the best layers, does it matter if they are white or khaki? Am I likely to find any eggs or day olds at this time of year?

Buffy

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 01:15:31 pm »
I have found by far the best breed is hybrid white Muscovy. They are massive. One side of a breast fillet is easily enough for for two or three servings. They are quiet and don't quack and live quite happily on maize and what ever they find there selves. I keep them semi free range in an enclosure with a anti fox fencing. They are quite prolific layers too an have kept us and the in-laws in eggs. They have just stopped laying 2 weeks ago and will start again early spring.

LB     

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 07:06:22 pm »
i have meat birds (hubbards) and the girls are still laying!  From 5 hens, I get 3 eggs every day just now.  I do really want them to stop as we have more eggs than i know what to do with.....but they seem to think otherwise!

hubby dispatched 2 this morning, so that should reduce the eggs a bit!

both birds were enormous - i really recommend this breed for meat

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 11:00:54 am »
Can you get Hubbard ducks then?  I thought they were just a chicken breed. :-\

all the best
Sue
Dark Brown Eggs

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 01:16:04 pm »
oops! trying to 'chat' in too many different threads at the one time me thinks!!!  yup, hubbards are chickens.....egglady slides off into the corner in shame....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS