Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Puppy sleeping pattern  (Read 2637 times)

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
Puppy sleeping pattern
« on: February 04, 2019, 06:01:07 pm »
I have a 6 months old Sprocker bitch. She is crated at  10.30pm after being put out for a wee and/or poo. She then screeches to be let outside at  various times during the night. 11.30, 2.30, 4.30 5.30 is fairly common she is fed at 6.am ( and 12.noon and 6pm) When I get up to let her out, she almost always does do something, so I am reluctant to ignore her. She has at least an hour’s vigorous exercise twice a day along with our other sprocker who is 3 yrs old and has never behaved in this way. Is there a solution please? I am exhausted.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Puppy sleeping pattern
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 06:45:43 pm »
You have to ignore some of the noise otherwise she will never stop as she has you on demand.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 11:10:34 pm »

It might be worth just checking there’s nothing wrong - cystitis or something.  So maybe have a chat with the vet, and it they think it’s worth it, get her and a pee sample checked.

If there’s no health issue, then she isn’t learning to hold it - she isn’t needing to!  You’re going to have to ignore all her screeching, or she will never stop! 

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 11:14:33 pm »
I’ve just seen on another thread that she’s had intractable diarrhoea up until very recently.  There could still be some underlying problem, or it could be just that she now has that habit.  Having seen about the diarrhoea, though, I do wonder if, although her stools are now improved, she’s still got an issue there.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 10:49:05 am »
How often is she needing to go for a wee during the daytime?
Any sign of pain when she goes?
Any leaking of urine?

Maybe worth a quick check at the vets.

If there is no physical problem, then you could start to ignore her cries. Maybe do it gradually and increase the time she is in the crate without a toilet break in stages.

Do you ever pop her in there in the day? So pop her in for say twenty minutes and ignore her cries to come out. Let her out once quiet. Gradually increase so that she is happy to be in for longer intervals.

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 12:20:25 pm »
Thank you for those helpful replies. Seems I have to sleep in ear defenders for a while. I sort of suspected that would be the  solution, but chickened out of it up until now. Some reinforcement was all I needed.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 02:39:05 pm »
I think it's where most dog owners fall down, either not crating, or not ignoring if they use one. Many issues stem from this, toilet training, unwanted chewing/destruction, separation problems, etc...

You have to be strong (if there are non underlying issues)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 11:57:21 am »
It's like babies.  If you know they've been fed, burped, nappy changed, clothes comfortable, then they are just expanding their lungs  :innocent: :coat:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS