Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lots of nest boxes  (Read 1539 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Lots of nest boxes
« on: January 31, 2019, 04:59:16 pm »
When we first came here 23 years ago we put up a nest box, in the only possible site.  Since then we have planted lots of trees and hedges, so a couple of years ago we added 4 other tit boxes and 4 robin boxes.  This year there are lots of trees big enough to take boxes, so we have just finished adding yet more so we now have 4 robin boxes, 19 tit boxes, great and blue, and a tree creeper box.  All that's left to do is a couple of house martin cups. 
We have only had martins here twice - the first year the nest was washed away in a storm although the young were just about to fledge anyway, so they were OK, the second time, last year in a drought, the nest was made of sand and collapsed, killing the two nestlings.  Hence artificial cups this year.

So that should be 26 nest boxes.  Lucky birds  :thumbsup: .  They have plenty of time to suss out what's available and lay claim to a home.  There are plenty of good nest boxes available so get out there, get frostbite and put up some nest boxes!
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
Re: Lots of nest boxes
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 06:03:29 pm »
That's great FW. I always fancy putting up an owl box with a camera in. One day....

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 12:07:14 am »
Good idea.  We have an owl box in mind too but it would have to be homemade and at the moment there's too much else on the to do list.  We haven't seen or heard barn owls around for several years now, but there are definitely tawny owls - I saw one in broad daylight, very cutely peering round a branch at me ! Mostly they just set the dogs off every night with their calling.  And we certainly have loads of mousey prey for them!
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 03:12:18 pm »
I thought of trying this but our feral cat climbs the trees. she catches birds, rabbits mice and rats. I feed the birds in the winter but stop April so the baby birds have a better chance if they don't come near the garden. We have a crow that nest here every Spring and the cat did have a go at going up the tree but the birds were dive bombing her so she gave up. Great that you have put up so many boxes, giving nature a helping hand.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS