Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Training Advice  (Read 5239 times)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: Training Advice
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2019, 06:08:54 pm »
might be a good idea to define BB?

I would totally recommend Shetlands …..  steer or heifers ….

Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2019, 09:44:43 pm »
Don’t get heifers!  They’re nothing but trouble as soon as they start bulling.  And it’s highly likely they’ll escape when the lust is upon them. Get castrated bullocks. And not a dairy breed or Limousins, get something placid like Angus or Hereford.

And teach them some manners, and halter train them, when they’re still a lot smaller than you!

Angus are not renowned for their docile temperament!

Yes they are.

I’ve farmed Anguses.

Herefords are generally quiet yes.

Simmentals are variable.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2019, 10:14:02 pm »
Seems highly likely that BrimwoodFarms will get what's available  :thinking: . So I would say - if nothing else, make sure you don't get uncastrated dairy bulls.
I agree entirely about Herefords. I've always kept them and found them placid and easily handled. Never had the heifers jumping out either. Agree even more about not getting Limousins! Their one aim would seem to be to escape! 
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2019, 07:14:44 pm »

I agree entirely about Herefords. I've always kept them and found them placid and easily handled. Never had the heifers jumping out either.

Actually we had a whole dynasty based on a Hereford x heifer that jumped a wall, a road and two fences to get to the bull...   All the females in the line were, shall we say, “active bullers”  :innocent:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2019, 09:56:18 pm »
Will agree to disagree on that one then sally; my experience of Angus has been flighty and temperamental, the calves are not quiet either. Maybe it makes a difference if they are suckler or dairy bred. My experience is mainly suckler bred.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2019, 12:57:07 am »
Interesting, twizz.  We had Angus bulls for our suckler herd in Cumbria, and bought in dairy-bred Angus x and Hereford x heifers too.  The only flighty ones were the ones that had a bit of Limi in them ;).  I have to say, though, that the shapes of some of the Angus bulls had been getting a little bit less traditional, with more rounded buttocks, making us wonder whether a little bit of “improvement” was going on.  (By which I mean a bit of Limi getting into the mix, to “improve” the conformation - ie., to have more meat in the buttocks.) We carefully selected very traditional shaped bulls, and only bought ones with rock solid temperaments. 

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2019, 08:50:36 am »
Ok so all of our Angus calves have limo mothers  :roflanim:  but I’ve also seen pure and ped herds which are equally as flighty. Yesterday one of our 4 month calves chased the dogs out of the yard  >:(  bolshy little things !

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2019, 01:33:31 pm »
We have been looking after next doors Lowline Angus herd for 6 weeks while they had a jaunt round the Antipodes.  A quieter bunch of beasts would be hard to find.

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2019, 08:59:10 am »
Hi there, did you get them to market safely?  Can we all breathe again?

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2019, 08:42:33 pm »
I just realised I never came back on this post.

Yes...they safely went off to market. They were good as gold when it came to TB testing and loading them up but I must say I breathed a sigh of relief as they disappeared off down the track. :D

I'm still looking to try and get a couple of heifers in to replace them down the line. There are two Highlands which have pretty good temperaments and when I first joined the business, they had three other heifers (I can't remember the breeds but one was British Blue) and they were lovely girls.

Thank you for all your advice!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS