NFU Mutual Smallholding Insurance

Author Topic: Can I make it work?  (Read 1559 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Can I make it work?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2019, 12:25:26 pm »
We had exactly the same problem as #LouiseG with our farming neighbours about 20 years ago.  They also persuaded us to part with 7 acres which was adjacent to their land and an inconvenient distance from ours.  Then when John died and I decided to build a house and move into it to try to get over it they objected to eveything I did.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age
Voss Electric Fence

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
Re: Can I make it work?
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2020, 07:53:02 am »
Hi everyone!

Well, we are now heading for lambing again and I haven't updated this thread at all!

Lambing was an enormous success. We had 35 pure Shetlands lambs, 1 ryeland, and 4 surprise Cheviot lambs from empty hoggs I bought in. Amazingly we had no losses at all. And just last week I made my first actual money at this malarkey by selling lambs as stores. I'm keeping on 6 Shetlands, 1 ryeland, and 2 Cheviot, all ewes, and the rest were sold.

We made wonderful hay. Our area had limited success due to ongoing rain. But somehow we made it work and sold loads of it because the quality was great. We now still have a barn full as they have only just started eating it as the grass has continued to grow!

We thought we were going to lose a ewe, I posted about her on here, blind, deaf, terrible condition, I registered with the fallen stock company in preparation for putting the poor girl out of her misery, as I was booking the guy to come, I decided to go give her one more dose of alamycin, she had had multiple courses by this point and everyone was at a loss as to cause, probably cancer they said. Well blow me she bounced back and has thrived over winter!

We now have 40 ewes to lamb this year, and we bought in a beltex X bleu du Maine tup as well as our ryeland tup. We also have 2 zwartble ewes expecting pures too.

So we will see what the next year brings. Absolutely loving it

I have a page on Facebook and Instagram, newlifeonthefarm if anyone wants to follow my exploits.
X

work

Started by helskitchen

Replies: 10
Views: 3531
Last post May 12, 2011, 10:10:24 pm
by Sandy
Work

Started by zoe_emma

Replies: 14
Views: 3460
Last post April 24, 2013, 10:25:07 am
by doganjo
Back to work

Started by WinslowPorker

Replies: 5
Views: 1568
Last post January 04, 2011, 09:42:34 pm
by ballingall
Work wanted!!

Started by Sandy

Replies: 14
Views: 4323
Last post February 05, 2011, 12:33:01 am
by Sandy
Exhausted before getting to work!

Started by Roxy

Replies: 6
Views: 2411
Last post February 24, 2011, 10:30:40 pm
by Sandy

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Little Peckers

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2020. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS