Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can I make it work?  (Read 6061 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Can I make it work?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2019, 12:25:26 pm »
We had exactly the same problem as #LouiseG with our farming neighbours about 20 years ago.  They also persuaded us to part with 7 acres which was adjacent to their land and an inconvenient distance from ours.  Then when John died and I decided to build a house and move into it to try to get over it they objected to eveything I did.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2020, 07:53:02 am »
Hi everyone!

Well, we are now heading for lambing again and I haven't updated this thread at all!

Lambing was an enormous success. We had 35 pure Shetlands lambs, 1 ryeland, and 4 surprise Cheviot lambs from empty hoggs I bought in. Amazingly we had no losses at all. And just last week I made my first actual money at this malarkey by selling lambs as stores. I'm keeping on 6 Shetlands, 1 ryeland, and 2 Cheviot, all ewes, and the rest were sold.

We made wonderful hay. Our area had limited success due to ongoing rain. But somehow we made it work and sold loads of it because the quality was great. We now still have a barn full as they have only just started eating it as the grass has continued to grow!

We thought we were going to lose a ewe, I posted about her on here, blind, deaf, terrible condition, I registered with the fallen stock company in preparation for putting the poor girl out of her misery, as I was booking the guy to come, I decided to go give her one more dose of alamycin, she had had multiple courses by this point and everyone was at a loss as to cause, probably cancer they said. Well blow me she bounced back and has thrived over winter!

We now have 40 ewes to lamb this year, and we bought in a beltex X bleu du Maine tup as well as our ryeland tup. We also have 2 zwartble ewes expecting pures too.

So we will see what the next year brings. Absolutely loving it

I have a page on Facebook and Instagram, newlifeonthefarm if anyone wants to follow my exploits.
X

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2020, 06:46:05 pm »
Hello everyone! What a bonkers year it has been. From a farming perspective, things have gone from strength to strength. So much so that I have done something bonkers and packed my day job in to focus on the sheep side of life. I will never be a millionaire, but I can make a small living doing what I love doing, and that is a wonderful feeling.

My flock has grown to 120 this year, and will be aiming for 250 total eventually. Hard to believe I only had 3 Shetlands 3 years ago!

Tomorrow my new present arrives, a new sheep race, so handling on my own will be so much easier. Yesterday I had to wrestle 80 beltex X lambs through gates on my own, and with how my back is feeling today, I said enough is enough, so new race with a lovely shedding gate was ordered!

Lots of targets for the next year, but first is fencing. Replacing old dilapidated fencing and adding new fence lines for easier rotation and management.  Also got to get my QMS/Farm assurance application sorted.

Exciting times here, feel like it's all just starting to come together!

So grateful for this site and all the wonderful advice!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2020, 11:14:27 pm »
Delighted to hear it's going so well for you. Keep us informed.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2020, 12:53:14 pm »
Great to hear of your success!!

Satsuma

• Joined Jan 2016
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2020, 11:16:01 am »
It’s been a while in the making but I finally got a very small bit of land.  We have 3 acres around the house that I have put sheep on, it’s been a bit of a learning curve.  What I am trying to decide is what to do now.  I know that I need more land but all of the adjoining ground is not likely to come up for sale.  Does anyone have an insight into how practical it is to have an out farm as such (maybe two to eight miles from the house)?  I am self employed so have flexibility but I’m also concerned I might be crazy to buy more land especially an out farm.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2020, 02:00:15 pm »
Lots of people make it work but it would terrify me!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2020, 02:07:42 pm »
It’s been a while in the making but I finally got a very small bit of land.  We have 3 acres around the house that I have put sheep on, it’s been a bit of a learning curve.  What I am trying to decide is what to do now.  I know that I need more land but all of the adjoining ground is not likely to come up for sale.  Does anyone have an insight into how practical it is to have an out farm as such (maybe two to eight miles from the house)?  I am self employed so have flexibility but I’m also concerned I might be crazy to buy more land especially an out farm.

Of course, many sheep farmers have sheep away at some time or other during the year, it will be easier if you do lambing at home, and then take the ewes/lambs out for grazing. You will need to be able to check twice a day, and I do once-a-day checks over winter. If you are home during the day, it is not difficult. Getting a reasonable tenancy agreement is more difficult, as these are usually only for 364 day per year, but again not unsurmountable. Only issue is - can you make a reasonable profit from sheep while also paying rent for land?

Satsuma

• Joined Jan 2016
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2020, 04:20:47 pm »
I’d be able to buy 10 to 20 acres without finance so would hope to make a small profit

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2020, 10:34:46 pm »
I’d be able to buy 10 to 20 acres without finance so would hope to make a small profit
Remember to build in the interest you would have had if it was invested as well as profit - not a lot just now so now is the time to do it and hope the interest rate remains low for as long as you need it to
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Satsuma

• Joined Jan 2016
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2020, 08:50:53 am »
Many thanks, there is a lot to think about here, also the time invested in a venture that’s never going to be very profitable, sadly so

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2020, 09:27:29 am »
Many thanks, there is a lot to think about here, also the time invested in a venture that’s never going to be very profitable, sadly so

Check my tagline ;)  (Below the post)

Doing the numbers is important, but do take into account all the other factors - enjoying yourself, doing something that feels meaningful, healthy living, healthy eating, mental health...

« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 09:29:06 am by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Satsuma

• Joined Jan 2016
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2020, 02:12:02 pm »
To be honest I think either doing it or not doing it will be difficult, if I don’t I will be thinking about it.  If I do it’s going to be a lot of work

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS