Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rural crime - theft from small-holdings  (Read 4910 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Rural crime - theft from small-holdings
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2019, 10:19:39 pm »
I hate geese!

I was chased by one when I was 4 - went with my Granda to deliver ice cream to a hotel in Grantown and they left me outsude playing with the chickens while they had a cuppa.  Heard me screaming and rushed out.  I have NEVER forgotten my Granda's laughter to this day 71 years later.  The irony is that I did forget all of it immediately after childbirth when I called my daughter the same name as the goose - Sarah.  :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :rant: :rant: :rant:

Did I say I hate geese?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2019, 10:37:18 pm »
are geese as good guards as I've been led to believe? And do they perform as deterrents or alarms or other?

No!  Our ganders will go for people when their geese are sitting, but otherwise they are fairly gentle souls.  They do make a lot of noise sometimes, but as we have never had intruders we don't know if they would make a different racket for them.  They sleep inside so would only be on patrol in daylight hours.
We rely on the dogs and whopping big padlocks and the like.  Anyway, we don't have much to steal - it's all second or fifth hand.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2019, 06:24:04 pm »
A question wrt to "guard-geese":  are they a match for foxes or are they just nice and large target prey?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2019, 10:46:06 pm »
Geese seem to take it in turns to chase something off.  If they would only band together they could give a fox a pretty good duffing, but their little brains don't seem to work that way.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 07:02:29 am »
A question wrt to "guard-geese":  are they a match for foxes or are they just nice and large target prey?

Most likely just nice target prey I think…. but mine live behind an electric fence, as I'd rather not give the fox (or badger) a chance…

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2019, 11:06:53 pm »
Geese seem to take it in turns to chase something off.  If they would only band together they could give a fox a pretty good duffing, but their little brains don't seem to work that way.

The ones who chased me weren't doing it in turns. There must have been hundreds.  Well, probably 20 but I was 15 at the time so prone to exaggeration.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS