Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Welsh black mountain sheep, dexter cattle, ouessant sheep and guinea fowl  (Read 20511 times)

the shepherd

• Joined Oct 2010
Hello,

new to the forum.

starting a small holding near hay on wye. herefordshire. border of wales & england. england side

Anyone have black welsh mountain sheep - registered - yearlings and 2 year old ewes for sale. Want asap in lamb.

also looking for 2 ouessant sheep. yearlings or 2 year olds. registered. in lamb. prefer non black. asap

and dexters pref the colour red. registered 2 year olds heifers. wanted for spring in calf

and guinea fowl fertilized eggs

l

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
Welcome shepard

I am new to sheep this year and this forum has been priceless for me and really helpful, and spoken to some great people.

Post your requirements in the market place section as well so it will be seen by more people,

good luck, let us know whats accuring and post some photos so we can all have a look

regards

andy
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
I keep Ouessants, however mine are not reg as they are French! My ram is eligible to be registered as he is the GEMO 2008 white champion and from the same flock that swept the board at the 2010 show. Reg British Ouessants are descended mainly from Dutch imports and do contain quite a few faults, hence I bought good solid French ones. There are a couple of breeders in your area who keep reg ouessants but mostly black. If you need any help please let me know.
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Mickyork

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Yeadingham, North Yorkshire
Hello and welcome from North Yorkshire   8) 8) 8) 8)
Live for today. Tomorrow never comes

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
  A friend of mine used to keep Quessants,soay and she imported Babydolls

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
sadly uk reg ouessants doesn't mean anything unless they have been under a judge and confirmed as per the french system. The Uk breed society has yet to understand that only those that actually conform to the standard get registered over here not those whose parents were registered. One day they might learn  :-\
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
Hello from nearly 3 acres in Ross-on-Wye with Badger face mountain sheep, lots of chickens and bees. Hubby works 3 days a week in Hay-on-Wye - lovely spot!

Can't help with your wish list I'm afraid but I'll ask around  :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Hi and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave:

HappyHippy

Hello from me too  :wave:
It might be worth asking at your local auction market if they know of breeders in the area and you should be able to pick up fertile eggs at an auction quite easily. I love guinea fowl, stunning (if a little noisy) birds  ;) ;D

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
Ruth got her Quessants from Hammerton Zoo in Cambridge

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
Re: Welsh black mountain sheep, dexter cattle, ouessant sheep and guinea fowl
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 09:23:47 am »
I'm near Hay-on Wye the Welsh Side just up from Clyro.

You starting a rare breed center or what  ;)
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 06:46:09 pm »
Plenty of guinea fowl at the rare breed sale today!

the shepherd

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 10:01:05 pm »
Dear All

thank you for all the welcomes and info.
We are loving the farm so far but need sheep asap on the land. I am finding that farmers are trying to sell they c*** to us!! as we are newbies!! As if we are stupid!!! We ofcourse at least we can read up on the breed standards!! and know what to look for. I hate to be taken for a ride so bit worried now how I will get my sheep without the wool being pulled over my eyes. excuse the pun!!

Kanisha can you give me access to ouessants.ning.com - I have filled in my info but cannot get in.
Does anyone know what the deal is with getting ouessants from France?? Is Gemo the French equivalent for breed society  :'( sorry for ignorance!!

Woolyshepherd any contacts in my area will be great. I am finding Uk has mainly black ouessants. Since I am getting black welsh mountain sheep I wanted something different thats all.

In reply to are we starting a rare breeds farm. no just want hard breeds that have good meat. ouessants are for pets. But sheep and cattle for meat. converting farm to organic.

re chickens. one of my chickens feathers are coming off and she is pecking herself. puff orpingtons. Is she moulting as it is autumn but my other chickens are not???

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 06:40:22 am »
Ning forum is offline at the moment.

Yes GEMO is the french breed society

no problem geting ouessants from France I aranged wooleys  champion ram for her, including getting him made up first.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 10:35:22 am »
Your Buff-O could be moulting, but you might want to check for lice too and give her and the rest of the flock a good dusting  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS