Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goose eggs  (Read 3367 times)

debbietownhead

• Joined Oct 2011
Goose eggs
« on: December 27, 2018, 07:41:27 pm »
I have young geese laying for the first time. Can anyone advise how much to sell these for?
The eggs will be going for eating not breeding

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Goose eggs
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 04:16:32 pm »
I think its a pretty standard £1 an egg, local to me anyway, Wales

abc123

• Joined Oct 2018
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 01:29:12 pm »
Yes, agree with bj although you would get more than double that if they were hatching eggs if thats something you want to do

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 05:32:52 pm »
TBH, we found that except at Easter time, we couldn't give them away! I think the trick is to find customers who are really into baking.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 02:38:27 pm »
I'm another who struggled to sell them-same with duck eggs, once people try them they are usually converted but for some reason people are often reluctant to try eggs from anything other than hens. The ones I didn't use myself I mostly gave away to someone I know who bakes a lot. I now have a dedicated duck egg customer base but it took a while!

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 03:54:17 pm »
Here they sell for £2 each (Leicester city market).
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 11:38:10 pm »
[member=24953]lord flynn[/member] , a lady at my work used to buy hen's eggs every week, but refused to touch duck eggs, "because they came out of a duck's bum"  ??? .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 10:42:12 am »
[member=24953]lord flynn[/member] , a lady at my work used to buy hen's eggs every week, but refused to touch duck eggs, "because they came out of a duck's bum"  ??? .

pmsl, really people are quite weird.

On the other end of the scale I had a work colleague recently eat a duck egg I gave him back in early July lol, it had been in the fridge-he did the water test and one failed and one passed-he said they're too good to waste!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 11:14:17 am »
You could try spraying them with gold paint  :coat:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 03:29:26 pm »
Several people were asking me to make sure I don't keep a cockerel with hens because they didn't want a chick when they crack the eggs...  ;D
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 05:02:44 pm »
Several people were asking me to make sure I don't keep a cockerel with hens because they didn't want a chick when they crack the eggs...  ;D

Been there, done that!   :yuck:

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 07:19:35 pm »
Having tried them i wouldn't give a thank you for eating geese eggs, duck eggs yes much richer.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2019, 05:26:04 pm »
I usually give some to ladies who bake for local chapel, living away from tarmac road, I don't want to be walking a mile to the village to sell a couple of eggs.
I do know people who sell them for £1 each though.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2019, 09:53:19 am »
Had some cream legbars once. Mother in law wouldn't eat blue eggs  :roflanim:

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2019, 03:50:12 pm »
Had some cream legbars once. Mother in law wouldn't eat blue eggs  :roflanim:
In some countries most commercial eggs are white (from leghorns). Someone said when he moved here he didn't want to eat eggs because they are all so dirty lol

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS