Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Nanny goat down poorly  (Read 6576 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Nanny goat down poorly
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 06:56:09 pm »
They still haven't been Mays  :(  I phoned them at 4pm to ask what time they would be coming, having been in all day, and they said they can't come now til tomorrow. very apologetic and have prioritised us. I said this is my children's pet and a much loved animal, all dignity I feel has gone out of the window for my poor girl.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 07:33:18 pm »
oh, thats terrible!  Its not like we all have a spare place to keep a corpse is it?!  poor you, and the kids
is she being taken under the scrapie scheme?
Little Blue

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 08:09:58 pm »
no she's not. I have stuck with the same people who took my last goat because they are always so nice but next time (and I know there will be one  :-\   ) I will use someone else recommended to me.  she's currently in the garage as its cool and she's hidden from view, still not ideal.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 08:25:22 pm »
Hi Plums, just read through the thread - so sorry. Goats are just so different and with milking twice daily you build up a proper relationship with them.

It is always quite difficult to change their feeding regime, and always worries me that I don't get their usual mix (I can't store many bags due to rodents... and so have to buy a bag at a time) and then have to change abruptly. Having said that now that they are dry if I can't get it it would just be hay only for a week. I never read what it says to feed on the bag, just go by books and work out an average. My GG's are much more sensitive to overfeeding that the BT girl though, same for the kids. So I guess it depends also a bit on breed and the individual.

If she didn't have loose droppings you certainly did not overfeed her.

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 09:13:16 am »
I am so sorry to hear this bad news.  Haven't been on here for a few days so sorry for the delayed response. Thinking of you. I can only begin to imagine how you must feel. Cx

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 10:55:46 pm »
Just wanted to add how sorry I am. I don't think it would have been the change from one type of beetpulp to the other though. They can scour for many reasons. I sold my big billy in July, and heard this week that he has died very unexpectedly as well :(

Thoughts with you and the children,

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS