Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Nanny goat down poorly  (Read 6577 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Nanny goat down poorly
« on: October 05, 2010, 08:00:02 am »
Went to Devon for long weekend holiday and have come back early after a phonecall to say my Toggenburg Nanny was looking depressed. Asked the lady looking after her if she was scouring and they said there was a bit. we came straight home.
vet came yesterday, goat still lying down and gently moaning - its all too reminiscent of when we lost her son Ronnie  :(
she has had bloods done and calcium etc all ok but urea up. treating her for rumen acidity now. prior to vet coming had managed to help her drink 2 L of the powder for scouring calves and she drinks well.  she is less keen on the antacid prescribed by the vet which I have to give as a drench.
been checking and giving drinks hourly since yesterday1pm when we got back.  she is still sat up, head up, ears now up.
have covered her with a blanket as her temp is low. this morning she gagged on the antacid mixture  :-\
nightmare!!
has anyone had similar situation where the goat made a good and full recovery?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Nanny goat down poorly
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 09:39:58 am »
I haven't experienced this but just wanted to say hope she makes a speedy recovery.  What a worry for you.  :goat:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 09:43:03 am »
She died while I was on school run. I feel so bad. 2 I've lost to scour. I don't think I should have goats  :'(  the other 2 are fine and well and eating hay like nothings happened.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 10:14:59 am »
I'm so sorry Lisa  :-* :-* :-*
I wouldn't let it put you off keeping them though - you kinda need them now  ;)
Are you going to get a pm done if the bloods don't show anything ? It might put your mind at ease.
Take care, thinking of you xxx

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 10:21:07 am »
Thanks Karen  :)  yep, do kinda need them now I guess  :)  probably won't go with the PM, am pretty certain I messed up with the concentrates and because we went away I wasnt' here to pick up on signs early enough.  such a beautiful goat, only 6 years old, what a waste.
I have tonnes of her milk frozen for soap in the freezer so we have a legacy I guess that way. can't get anyone to collect her till tomorrow - and I stupidly asked what will happen to her when they do get her, big mistake.

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 10:39:10 am »
Sent you some hugs on Facebook, but sending some more here too xxxx

ETA: I bookmarked this link from another thread in case I needed it. Sorry I have to share  :'(
http://www.nfsco.co.uk/
Might be a bit quicker for you?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 10:43:41 am by Sharondp »

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 10:54:37 am »
Thanks Sharon, will give it a go xx

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 06:59:32 pm »
oh, Lisa, I'm so sorry.  :( its awful to lose an animal.... you feel so responsible (even when you're not)
hugs to you, and your trainee milkers  :x
Little Blue

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 07:44:55 pm »
thank you little blue. the trainee milkers are devastated, understandably and I keep dissolving into tears - better blame pmt!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 08:06:03 pm »
FB'ed you too!  and the wait for collection is so hard... we were "lucky" in a way with Margo that they were in the area the same day.
Little Blue

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 08:13:32 pm »
Not been on on for a wee bit and just seen your post and as a 'goat person' am so sorry to hear your news - wish things could have turned around for the better - all I can say is sending my good thoughts your way, Clare
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 08:18:38 pm »
sorry to read your latest news plumseverywhere :(
langdon
Langdon ;)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 08:05:25 am »
Thank you x
TOday will be hard, collection man is due - I hope the children are all at school when he comes.
Feel very bad, am wondering if it was the switch from kwikbeet to speedibeet as shop had run out of KB and being daft I assumed it was almost same stuff so didnt' do slow switch over  ???

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 09:54:12 am »
I am so sorry to hear your news :(

Barry

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 06:45:58 pm »
i am so sorry to read you have lost your lovely goat :'( having had a horse & 3 sheep "collected" this summer, I know how hideously awful it is, I tend to stay in the house & not get involved, hope it wasnt too distressing for you & your family x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS