Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Irish man meets Yorkshire woman  (Read 1439 times)

Stew@rath

• Joined Oct 2018
Irish man meets Yorkshire woman
« on: December 24, 2018, 09:24:42 am »
Hi all, I'm a big  fan of river cottage for many years, but never really did anything. I'm a bit lazy really ;D. I met my partner Kirsty 6 years ago (who is from west Yorkshire) We have 5 children between us.
Kirstys late grandfather farmed sheep and cattle in Yorkshire and she has fond memories as a child.
Together we are getting into smallholding and got great information on this amazing site.
We have 27 acres, slatted shed, 10 cows, 6 Muscovy ducks, 6 hens, 2 dogs and a cat.
Hope to start with a poly tunnel as it rains a lot here in the west.
any advise would b much appreciated.
all the best, Stew & Kirsty  :farmer:

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Re: Irish man meets Yorkshire woman
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 12:25:57 pm »
Welcome to TAS :wave:

Are you based in Ireland or somewhere else in the west?

RCTman

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Rhondda fach
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 06:39:07 pm »
Hi and welcome :wave:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 11:56:42 am »
Hello and welcome t TAS! Where in the west are you?What kind of cattle do you have? We have Shetlands  :hugcow: :hugcow: :hugcow: :hugcow:

Stew@rath

• Joined Oct 2018
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 10:25:28 pm »
Thanks very much ;D. Were in the north of Co. Mayo in the west of Ireland. Our cows are a mix of limousine X. but we have a pure breed Romagnola and one Bazadaise cow as well. We run an Aubrac bull(easy caved)  :cow:  and sell the wealings or keep some heifers as replacements. As we want to produce meat for our own freezer we are looking at keeping some Hereford or Angus any advise would b welcome.
We are very interested in rare breeds and vintage machinery as well and would like to keep old traditions going.
I work part time and we don't want to b totally self sufficient, but i got a bit of a shock as i didn't realise that 99% of veg and herbs in the supermarket is sprayed with pesticide, hence the poly-tunnel project I hope to get going.
Cheers Stew & Kirsty ;)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 10:35:12 pm »
Hi Stew and Kirsty  :wave: and welcome to TAS from Shropshire.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS