Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When are you tupping? Advice needed  (Read 19187 times)

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: When are you tupping? Advice needed
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2008, 11:40:07 pm »
I have some of this powder..........do not mix it with water unless you want dyed sheep or for it to wash out all over the place!!! Mix it with a little cooking oil instead. It needs to be applied frequently with a large spatula or stiff brush...........I now use raddle harness if anything as its too bloomin fiddly :D :D
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2008, 12:20:01 am »
remember that you will probably have to re-apply it to the tups chest every 4 days or so. Otherwise the colour may not last till lambing time - fine if your boys are easily caught. Did my back in this year catching the new boy
Ian

farmerswag

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Aberdeen Shire
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2008, 09:19:12 am »
Well after posting this, the tup went in on Thurs. with the other halfs advice that he would spend the first week at least just chasing them around and they wouldn't be cycling yet, well............

He was so wrong, I have seen him on the job TWICE already and they only get checked once a day, never take advice from a man on birth control.

Must try and get his harness on today.  Left him in a bit of land gated outside the ewes field while I went to get the harness out the tractor, the OH started yelling and turned round to see my tup running at the fence and clearing a 3ft9 post and rail fence!!!!!  Decided after that supreme effort he deserved to be out with the ladies.

Wish my horses would jump that well :horse: :horse:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 09:21:08 am by farmerswag »
Chasing sheep - keeps you young

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2008, 08:31:13 pm »
This is my first year and although I only have 5 ryeland ewes I have an old tup - 8 years old. After reading all the comments on this post I thought it might take him some time to do the job and a while for the ewes to come into season. Well! I put him in at 3.10 and by 3.20 he was going full steam  :o We went out and when we came back 2 had blue on their rear ends  ;) I didn't think it would happen so quickly  :)
Karen

farmerswag

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Aberdeen Shire
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2008, 09:21:36 am »
Well my boy has  managed to make himself lame he was that keen!! Randy boy!!  Picked up some new gimmers and ewes yesterday and when I went to turn them out noticed that the tup was looking a bit lame.  Its a front leg and apparently thats not so bad as when hes working they aren't doing anything. Spoke the vet who said as we had the tup in early not to worry as there is plenty time but if he is not right by the end of the week to jag him with anti inflams, can't wait for that! Can't wait long enough.

On a different note bought a book about sheep for my wee boy, aimed at 3 plus,  and when reading it to him found the glossary at the back and found this definition -

'Tupping' - sheep sex

V childish but found this v amusing
Chasing sheep - keeps you young

battyb

• Joined May 2009
 :sheep:im trying to start up a small flock of beltex .firstly i got 2 females and 1 tup  bout 3mths old.
last week i bought 4 more ewes they dont seem to mix much but last nt i noticed the tup lamb trying to tup one of the older ewes and hes only 4mths old how should i deal with them ? need some advice please

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 03:04:10 pm »
he's too young.

PuBS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • National
    • PuBSForum
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2009, 01:39:02 pm »
I used to leave the tupping to my rams, not personally!
Regarding raddle, always mix with veg oil, Lidls do some cheap stuff dont nick the wifes like I used to,start with the lightest colour and work to the darkest so you can see if any ewes keep returning. Too many and there is a problem either with the ewe or the tup!
I used to go yellow-blue or green, red, black and change the colour every 14 days, ewes cycle about 17 days, so you can observe any repeats.
Nickcordery
PuBSadmin
www.pubs.myfunforum.org

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2009, 07:43:22 pm »
Ram Harness far easier, start lightest colour first through to black last or adjust colours for darker fleeced sheep, changing crayons every 18 days, keep a note of dates marked and the colours and only run one ram with Ryeland ewes so that your pedigree lineage is correct.

Powder is so messy and you need to re apply every few days and it seems to go everywhere except the ram especially if he doesn't want to cooperate.

My tups normally go in in Setember and we lamb late Feb/March but climate a bit milder here than Scotland, so adjust as necessary.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Hardfeather

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2009, 09:04:17 pm »
And don't forget, you must be able to identify your ewes individually too.

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2009, 09:28:54 pm »
My tups are out now!!
They went out on Sunday (after sponging) and using a harness has indicated he's "jumped" half already!!
We do lamb inside , making it easier. We do 100 ewes and also 10 Jacobs, 10 texels and some favourites.
Next month we do another 150 ewes.

Roll on lambing time!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS