Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When are you tupping? Advice needed  (Read 19188 times)

farmerswag

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Aberdeen Shire
When are you tupping? Advice needed
« on: October 06, 2008, 10:21:41 pm »
This will be the first year that I have tupped my own sheep :o :o We have pedigree sheep which is what I imagine that most people here have and have been advised to put the tup in earlier rather than later to allow for maximum growing time before the breed sales. I am thinking of putting the tup in at the weekend, he has 45 to do, a mixture of ewes, gimmers and hogs. Do you think this will be too early? I have enough space to bring all the sheep in to lambas at least one of the hay sheds should be empty by then and an additional shed which houses the lambing pens. Just worried there might not be enough grass here up north ??? ???
Chasing sheep - keeps you young

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Re: When are you tupping? Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 08:23:14 pm »
partly the answer will depend on the breed of sheep. lowland breeds will come into season earlier than upland breeds. our suffolks have had the tup running with them since early july. the mules were running with them after 6 weeks and have only just started coming into season. because we sell boxed lamb we have a  long lambing to spread out the lambs fattening period, but we do use our oldest tup lambs for selling on as breeding stock.
Ian

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 08:28:17 pm »
I'm hoping to put the tup in 5th November, to start lambing 1st April. Reason? I'm on holiday 1st two weeks in April.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 08:32:53 am »
Hi Rosemary i'm planning on the rams going in with the ewes around the same date i don't like early lambs and  I am hopeful to keep the lambing season reasonably short. are you expecting the ewes to all cycle within a short period of the ram going in? just wondering how many late nights i'm going to h ave to deal with  :D
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

farmerswag

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Aberdeen Shire
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 12:04:45 pm »
If the Ram can get them all within one cycle then your lambing should be done within a month :sheep: If you change the colour on the tups harness every month then that should let you who has taken and who hasn't and whether your lambing will go past a month.  The first time the people we bought our tup from told me about a Ram harness I must confess I thought it was either for handling them, taking them for a walk or pulling them off the ewes, doh!!! The OH was unimpressed to say the least!! Told me not to talk for the rest of the time at the farm :-X :-X

If anyone know a way of shorting the lambing period then it would be every much appreciated. I'm just glad I have alot of willing people to help so hopefully not too many sleepless nights for me

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 12:19:30 pm »
thanks I have four rams in four breeding groups. ( I am playing around  with colour;)  I don't use a harness on my rams i don't really need to know dates as such  and also a fair proportion are black. but  I was wondering how likely it is for ewes to cycle quickly.
last year I put the ram in early but he was a very young ram still didn't get any lambs before mid april.  but the one ewe i bought in sept was already pregnant by another ram when i bought her!

this year the rams are more mature and I will be a little more patient even though the rams are already doing their nut!

farmerswag

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Aberdeen Shire
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 01:21:50 pm »
My goodness!! I was considering getting some Suffolks next year and was worried about having 2 different breeds, please tell me how you do it? I am convinced that mine would all escape and I will end up with a lots of Suffolk cross Llyens.

My tub is pacing up and down the fence looking lovingly towards ewes at the moment then periodically goes off to fight with the wedders to vent his frustration, very mean boy.  I hope he is as keen when he gets in with the ladies and gets it all done quickly. What a life !!!! :sheep: :sheep:

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 04:01:56 pm »
well if I pull it off i'll let you know!!  ;D

I am hoping that the ewes will mostly get taken pretty quickly meaning that there won't be loads of ewes on heat to get  boys next door too excited; they will be busy with their own ewes as they are all the same breed its not a complete disaster if there is a mix up but I don't think its likely to happen; Ouessants aren't  great big meaty breeds so  the fencing should hold but between some it is a fence post with wire on both sides so effectively its double fenced. I learn't this after last year  ::)

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 12:34:35 am »
Hi Farmerswag

If you put one of your wether lambs in with the ewes for a week or so before you put your tup in he may encourage your ewes to start their cycle so that they are ovulating well when the tup starts to work. Hopefully this will mean a quick start and quick finish. BUT if you have more than 40 ewes use 2 tups as the poor boy will get VERY tired

Ian

farmerswag

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Aberdeen Shire
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 09:05:08 am »
I have 42 ewes for him to do, he is a four year old and he knows exactly what he is doing.  He was covering commercially last year and did 60 plus so hoping that is up to the task.  Your idea about the wedder is a very good one, might go and chase one of them up the hill to the ewes today so can get them into the mood before 'Bob' goes in at the weekend.

I do have another boy lined up incase Bob in not up to the job!!

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 05:13:16 pm »
evening all, just thought id mention that we use powder raddle that you mix with water only a little then spread it on rams chest this works really well and is much cheaper, feel it is a big outlay for a harness when youve only a handfull of sheep. wear disposable gloves as i spent 2 days at work with red hands and fingernails and some funny looks from customers when surveying! I dont like lambing early because of weather early in the year been told traditionally you put the ram in on bonfire night. we use red orange and green powder and it lasts for ages cheers neil

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 06:25:47 pm »
now i'm interested where do you get the powder from?????

Rosey

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Lincolnshire UK
    • UKNaturepics.com
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 07:06:37 pm »
Hi kanisha
I am putting my tups in from 27th October as my ryelands are being put to a friends easy care ram this year and he is moving them then. the powder raddle is easy to find doing a google search but farmrite have it.

http://www.farmrite.co.uk/category.ds2?c=343

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 08:14:13 pm »
Brilliant thanks i'll be ordering some of this any do and don't s  from those that have used it?

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 09:57:58 pm »
countrywide supply powder think we also bought some from shows, dont know what area your in but its easily avaliable.  just been out to the shed its called mastermark raddle powder comes in 1kg tubs made by rowland sandwith ltd,wimbourne dorset  01202 882323     have fun neil

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS